problems with DirectPlay and winXP ?

Started by
3 comments, last by Sebb_b 21 years, 7 months ago
hi all, does anybody know why every Direct Play sample of the SDK and every program based on DirectPlay allways crash when calling Host() ( i think it is this function that makes the program crash) ? I''ve the DirectX 8 SDK installed and WindowsXP, and this problem occurs on every computer that run with winXP :''( i can''t run any DirectPlay Client/server program anymore, even those of the Multiplayer Game Programming book :''( I''ve seen in a previous post that somebody allready had this problem, with WindowsXP. Thanks !! ( forgive about my english plz, i''m french )
Advertisement
I''ve been developing a multiplayer game using DirectPlay8 on WinXP for the past 8 months... I can''t remember having any problems from the start. But... it used to crash my Win98 machine - until I installed some modem drivers. Maybe thats your problem?
Make sure you have a local IP address. If you don''t have TCP/IP installed you will have problems.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming
Author, Strategy Game Programming with Direct X 9 (Not yet released)

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

- thx bazee but it don''t think the problem comes from modem drivers ( ''cuz there isn''t any modem on my computer, it''s a shared internet connection ), everything runs well with my network config, I can program even with WinSock ... but DPlay doesn''t want to :''(

i really don''t know, it worked on my Win98 machine but it really crashes only on WinXP, it''s weird, i can''t do anything with DirectPlay, even running the samples,

DPNERR_INVALIDDEVICEADDRESS(0x80158320) ....
every DirectPlay program returns this error when calling the server''s Host() function.

Does anybody ever had a problem like this one ?

yes yes, TCP/IP is installed, my local IP adress is 192.168.0.84 if it is usefull

this problem is really weird.

-> LostLogic :
I can''t run your demos anymore Todd :''(
( when does your next book will be released ? it seems to be very interesting )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement