Directplay Help Requested...

Started by
3 comments, last by FatzBomb 21 years, 7 months ago
Hello all, I am using DirectX 8 and trying to learn directplay functions in VB6. I have used winsock, and it seems I often get dropped data, etc. I hope DX8 works better. My question mainly is, is there a way to set up a server so that no one need know the IP address... In other words, you start the program, and it automatically would show who is connected and ready to play by nickname (Such as a Yahoo! lobby, etc.) I know this could be accomplished by keeping the program on my computer 24/7, but obviously, this is not what I want. Do I have to buy server space or something else? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but it would help me out immensely. ~Keith [edited by - FatzBomb on August 29, 2002 9:43:22 PM]
Advertisement
No, it is not possible for a peer-to-peer game to be aware of other users playing the game, unless it looks within a specific range of IPs (eg. the local subnet). Anything more would be unfeasible.

You should probably look into lobbys within DirectPlay, and see if you can find a game server who will host your game.

Cheers,
John

John Reynolds
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com
John ReynoldsCreative Asylum Ltdwww.creative-asylum.com
Sorry for sounding really dumb about this, But I amreally confused on this whole direct play thing and I seem to have trouble finding "simple" tutorials like winsock. How would I go about finding a server to host my game?

Thanks for your response as well John.

~Keith
get MULTIPLAY GAME PROGRAMMING book

its the perfect book to get started in multi player game programming. no better book
http://www.mattherb.com now with CATCAM!
Thanks, will check it out

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement