Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jiia

OpenGL OpenGL or DirectX

Or should I ask this question in those individual forums? I'm sure someone has asked this many times, but I can't find any threads about it. DirectX is becoming very limited with 2D graphics (hell, I guess it always was limited). I write everything in C/C++, and know pretty much nothing of ASM, so I must write my own functions to do cool effects like alpha blending and such. Even though my drawing code is pretty fast, I get low frame rates above anything other than 320x240. I can run my games in 800x600, but only modifying 320x240 pixels in the center, and my framerate goes from 150 fps to less than 11 (I have a Devil Monster II (64mb)). Anyway, is OpenGL a solution to 2D in Windows? I've always viewed it as a 3D library, but I've seen many people talking about writing 2D games with it. Thanks for any response, Jiia [edited by - Jiia on August 29, 2002 12:58:28 AM]

This will answer all your questions.

quote:
From the Lounge FAQ,
There are usually topics that need to be crushed due to peoples desire to personally flame others for their beliefs or opinions. The threads that I will always be on the lookout for include the following:
*3D APIs comparison threads

quote:
From the OpenGL FAQ,
Flame wars about which API is better "OpenGL vs. DirectX" could probably go here, but I have seen sooooo many posts about it, I will most likely go crazy if I saw another one... Plus, the answer is obvious, OpenGL all the way (j/k I mean, I use DirectX, even D3D, quite a bit).

That ^^^ is why this is being closed. Keep at it, though.

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links