NTFS

Started by
12 comments, last by vbisme 21 years, 7 months ago
It''s a journaling file system like Ext3,XFS or RaiserFS on Linux. So it''s definatly safer than FAT, but that doesn''t help if you had a head-crash
Advertisement
Does anyone have the answer to my latest question?
You don''t have to reformat to goto NTFS
In fact, IIRC, you can''t do this on the sys drive.
You have to install as FAT/FAT32, and then run the NTFS converter.
There''s no NTFS to FAT32 converter though, so it''s a one-way-strreet.
(If you choose NTFS during Windows setup, it formats FAT/FAT32 and converts to NTFS on first boot)

All the performance reports I''ve seen have indicated that NTFS is slower than FAT32 - but I must admit I haven''t looked anytime recently (a few years ago for NT4, not 2k or XP).

NTFS gives you additional security options, and lets you compress files & folders.

NTFS out-of-box is not much more relibable than FAT32. Hardware problems are far more likely to mess up your data, since both are proven code on NT. So to have additional reliablity you need a RAID system.

Yes vbisme, you can freely mix NTFS, CDFS, & FAT32 volumes, and access them all.

Btw, having a sys drive and a data drive is a GOOD idea.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
my current setup is all fat32 (coz i was duel booting linux at one point, but needed the space back for work reasons)
anyways, my drive setup has a 4gig drive as the system root drive, that way if win2k dies a horrible and messy death i can format that partion with next to no dataloss (i should probably backup my email more often however... i feel a script coming on.. anyways.. ) reinstall windows and i''m good to go (my documents has been moved to D:\my documents so its safe)

And you can convert from NTFS -> FAT32 again, i''ve done it with partion magic 7 before now, however u cant do it if you have any compressed data on the drive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement