Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

does this seem fun?

This topic is 5574 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

thanks for the replies.

Da cobra: true, I''ll expand on it soon. Only thing is, the game is nearing alpha quality (should have made the doc sooner I guess)

JohanK: I sure hope so!

Shadowdancer: something like it. I''ve been thinking about adding asteroids though, as hazards. Then it''ll be like asteroids WITH asteroids

Coincoin: I did have Subspace in the back of my mind when I made it. But as far as I remember Subspace was always in a maze. And this game will definately not be! You should have the idea that you''re in a galaxy. I was also thinking of micromachines but then in space (I sure hope I can get the same funfactor in it).

keep ''em coming.

I hope to have a two-players on one computer version ready to test by friday, so I''ll post it then.

I remember a game called "Stardust" or something, it was a kind of MP Asteroids too... 2D though.
Main difference from your game to asteroids is that you have an area that is larger than one screen (if i understand it right), so you don''t always see the other player.
Sounds like REAL fun. Put a lot of funny weapons and extras and stuff in, so it gets a kind of "Chaos" feeling ... I like such stuff very much :-)

I did a project very similar to yours. It was a 3D multiplayer, space shooter thingy. We wrote it in java (that was our requirement) using the java3D package. It actually ran quite fast, although if you stuck the game window in a Jframe or something it slowed down a LOT. The framerates were still acceptable. And yes, we were thinking of subspace too.
The 3D''ness adds so much dimension to a game like this (and makes it easier for programmers with no art skills whatsoever).

dave

hi all,

the game has reached a pimpable state, so here I am pimping it.

You have two weapons (laser and bomb), if a player dies, he leaves behind a powerup (speed, health or bomb replenishment).

This is definately a WIP, but I'd really like comments at this stage.

The game is and will be very open, so players can easily add new ships to the game (I've always dreamed of a 3d space shooter which is easy to customize, and this is my own small start on it). It will be internet based, but I might try and put some AI in it if there are people who want it. There will be classes in the next version, also very easily adjustable, and maybe a HUD to choose ships. Am aiming for two weeks for the next version.

hope you have fun with it.

Known issues:
- collision detection is not accurate yet
- the ship doesn't directly respond to controls, and this will be changed.

and here's the link Innersphere site

[edited by - rick_appleton on September 14, 2002 10:28:00 AM]