Best compiler/IDE?

Started by
19 comments, last by tordyvel 21 years, 7 months ago
I want to buy a a new compiler/IDE but i''m not shure which one to choose. I was thinking of buying VC++ 6.0 with student licens, but first I need to know a few things. What happends when I''m not a student anymore? Can''t I use VC++ anymore and sell my programs? Is there any newer IDE like VC++ 7.0? What is VC++.net? Thanks for your help!
Advertisement
if you buy Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus (not a bad book but not perfect) you get a free copy of MS Visual C++.
cheap way to get a look at the IDE.
quote:Original post by tordyvel
I want to buy a a new compiler/IDE but i''m not shure which one to choose. I was thinking of buying VC++ 6.0 with student licens, but first I need to know a few things.

Buy the Academic version of Visual Studio.NET.
quote:
What happends when I''m not a student anymore? Can''t I use VC++ anymore and sell my programs?

You can continue to use VS.NET after you leave school, and sell your programs.
quote:
Is there any newer IDE like VC++ 7.0?
What is VC++.net?

VC++7.0 == VC++.NET

"When you know the LORD you have no need for masturbation!"
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
I''m not sure if you can buy an academic version. When I tried to, m$ told me that that version is only for academical institutions, such as schools...

I''ve ordered the Standard edition of VC++.NET. It is cheap, but it misses program optimization, which is not very appropriate for releasing commercial programs... or maybe it is if you are creating small games.

Damjan "Rhuantavan" Mozetic
Damjan "Rhuantavan" Mozetic
Best compiler for GameDev
And there''s a thread on VC++ in the General Programming forum.

Cédric
I think you owe it to yourself to try Dev-C++ (link in signature). Not only is it completely free, it is comparable to VC++ in looks and features. I know that there are some people who can''t stand Dev-C++, because they say it is not as good, or it is too buggy, etc, but before you spend money for Visual C++, you should at least give the free download a shot. You just might like it (I did!).

|.dev-c++.|.the gimp.|.seti@home.|.try2hack.|.torn.|
quote:Original post by Rhuantavan
I''m not sure if you can buy an academic version. When I tried to, m$ told me that that version is only for academical institutions, such as schools...

This is quite simply not true. I''m not discussing this with you - I am telling you.
quote:
m$

Grow up.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Perosonally, if I owned a company, and people put $''s in the name when they typed it, I wouldn''t be that upset (quite the opposite really).

When I bought the acedemic version of Visual C++ 5, I had to proved proof that I was a student and actively enrolled.

[moved to general]
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
quote:Original post by Arild Fines
Grow up.
Or what? You''re going to cry?

(sorry, your statement just screamed for a stupid reply)
quote:Original post by civguy
(sorry, your statement just screamed for a stupid reply)

Glad to see you achieved your objective.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement