Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Playing or Designing games: which is art?

This topic is 5585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m not yet convinced that computer games are an art form. I think that what can and will eventually develop into an art form is the playing of computer games. Am I nuts? Any thoughts? -Devinmaxwell

To put it bluntly, I think that statement is one of the stupidest things I''ve ever heard.

That''s like saying the architecture behind the ancient Roman colleseum wasn''t art, but fighting as a gladiator was.

Have you ever tried to make a computer game?
Besides, making movies, books or paintings is considered art, right? Making computer games is like a combination of these: You write a story, you have to paint textures, make 3d models (or make sprites, for the more old-fashioned ;-) ), and you make a ... *dictionary* production (?) ... what i mean is that you stage it. In German it''s "Inszenierung", if that helps.
And of course you write lots of code.
I think that is a form of art.

In the name of the Spoon
My Homepage

Sorry loftyideals, but I have to close this. Take a look at this forum''s FAQ, near the bottom, and I think you''ll understand why.

(You''re welcome to try another topic, however.)

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is 5585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.