Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

angrytofu

applets vs. actionscript vs. .net winforms

I want to make a little game embedded in a web page that has access to a MS SQL server. Applets seem on the way out so I guess I don''t want that. .NET requires people have the .NET framework + security settings so I don''t want that. So I found Actionscript which might be what I need. Could I use asp.net + actionscript to create a game in a web page with high score tables? I have looking around but all the examples use PHP

so you talking flash here then.

if so the answer is yes you could.

Look in the action script reference file getvariables loadvariables something like that anyway for getting information into flash from a outside data source. I used PHP to create a text file with the varibles I needed from MySQL.

to make a high score table
just post from your game to the asp script that creates the highscore page.

you could even return a the list back into flash with the above method.

[edited by - themonkster on August 30, 2002 6:06:31 PM]

ok then I better read up on actionscript

I was going to do it with java applets then I read a article that said java applets so I started wondering what replaced java applets and it seems flash actionscript has

.NET forms are a idea but at the moment only about 2% would be able to access them form my web page.

I am not sure applets are dying ok they it might make more sense to use java webstart these days I reacon they still have a place.

Flash is ok but it lacks a few features for my liking.

quote:
Original post by angrytofu
ok then I better read up on actionscript

I was going to do it with java applets then I read a article that said java applets so I started wondering what replaced java applets and it seems flash actionscript has

.NET forms are a idea but at the moment only about 2% would be able to access them form my web page.

Wrong. Web Forms, using server-side controls, do not need the .NET Framework install on the clients. The appropriate HTML is automatically generated and sent to the clients. Web Forms probably aren''t appropriate for a game though. You can write your own server-side controls that generate the appropriate HTML/graphics too, without forcing clients to have the .NET SDK.

i know webforms do not require the end user to have .net

But I would like to load a winform within a webform or however it is called.. I have come across demos of people doing this but it requires the end user has .net and changes some security settings..

from my point of view that would be the easiest way but few people would be able to view it