Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rad76

What is more important in a 2d action game?

Would it be funner if a 2d action game had scrolling levels, or stationary levels, at the cost of frame rate? What I''m trying to say is it for important to have smooth performace over scrolling maps? Or have scrolling maps with kind of poor performace? Can''t have both

Sure you can just pay me to code your engine for you.

Seriously

Seriously, i think you need to work on your engine if you cant have both.

Dreddnafious Maelstrom

"If i saw farther, it was because I stood on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Guest Anonymous Poster
Well, the mechanics of your game depend on the scrolling/nonscrolling aspect of your game. Look at Abe''s Odysee. When you went to the next screen, the sligs couldn''t see you (I think it is this way for all 2d games really). But leaving and returning to the screen would reset the scripts so you could time them more accurately. The graphics were also very high detais, and it made the in game prerendered videos easier to do (I think they decompressed directly to the back surface like Blink Video does)

However, Earthworm Jim had the same script resetting, with a trade off for cartoonish quality. Most of the mechanics were different (for instance, weapons and less puzzles). Design your game and then decide which approach would better suit your game mechanics.