Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

daerid

Remember that source code that MS said they'd release?

It''s certainly interesting ... although some of these functions weren''t actually undocumented, and many of them are of questionable use.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Post a link to the download page please, I cant seem to find it.
Thanks.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Post a link to the download page please, I cant seem to find it.
Thanks.

Can''t find it? It''s the very first link in that article! Here it is again, then:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnapiover/html/api-overview.asp

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.

hmm ,

i think there are lots more ms is not giving out. Ms will never comply fully to giving out their code.. bill gates hates open source..

Its my duty, to please that booty ! - John Shaft

How anti open-source is Gates? MS has trouble documenting currently available API calls.. and I think that's a long way off from what I'd consider open-sourcing. But really, I think their stance is based on prinicple. See, MS has always believed in stealing code... but how can they steal code or give other people an equal opportunity to steal it back if it's all freely available? See, Microsoft is just trying to protect our right to steal, guys.

[edited by - Air on September 1, 2002 12:39:54 AM]

quote:
Original post by jwalker
bill gates hates open source..

No, he hates the GPL. There''s a difference.

"When you know the LORD you have no need for masturbation!"

Do Oracle release the internal specifications of it''s database? Do Adobe release the APIs it''s various products use to communicate? Did Mirabilis release the protocol ICQ used (before it got reverse engineered)? No.

Microsoft have a lot of intelletual property in those APIs, and they shouldn''t have to release anything they don''t want to.

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.

Erm... one question: Disclosing these APIs doesn't actually mean that Microsoft released the source code, or does it? From what I have read on the MSDN pages, all they did was releasing documentation for these APIs. And most of them were already documented (like ZeroMemory).

Though that DeleteRandomFile API is new to me...

[edited by - Origin on September 2, 2002 11:36:55 AM]

quote:
Original post by Air
How anti open-source is Gates? MS has trouble documenting currently available API calls.. and I think that''s a long way off from what I''d consider open-sourcing. But really, I think their stance is based on prinicple. See, MS has always believed in stealing code... but how can they steal code or give other people an equal opportunity to steal it back if it''s all freely available? See, Microsoft is just trying to protect our right to steal, guys.

[edited by - Air on September 1, 2002 12:39:54 AM]

How anti-Microsoft is Air? See above...

Every software company in existence has probably borrowed code or ideas from another company. There are only so many ways to do the same thing. Microsoft does buy other companies to obtain their IP.

I remember when I used to use this NAT software to share my cable modem with my other computers. A month after I bought the software, I was notified that the company had been purchased by Microsoft. Next thing you know Microsoft announces that Windows 98 SE will have Internet Connection Sharing. I thought that was pretty funny.

quote:

-----------------------------
Original post by jwalker:
bill gates hates open source..
-----------------------------
No, he hates the GPL. There's a difference

Yes, there is a difference. In fact, I remember reading somewhere that Gates doesn't mind the BSD open source licenses. But don't quote me on that.

[edited by - ares32585 on September 2, 2002 3:33:21 PM]

quote:
Do Oracle release the internal specifications of it's database? Do Adobe release the APIs it's various products use to communicate? Did Mirabilis release the protocol ICQ used (before it got reverse engineered)? No.

Did any of those companies get convicted for the same crimes that Microsoft have commited? No. Microsoft are getting off easy if all the have to do is to release the internal documentation of a few APIs. It is not like they are releasing anything that truly threatens the vendor lock-in that they have over the world's desktops, such as the Word document format.

quote:
In fact, I remember reading somewhere that Gates doesn't mind the BSD open source licenses.

Of course Bill likes BSDed code. Who can dislike people that do your work for free and expect nothing in return? (or at least give up every legal right to demand something in return... they have occasionally been known to whine when they realize what they have done). I do remember reading that some versions of Windows did use network code from one of the operating systems released under the BSD license.

[edited by - HenryAPe on September 2, 2002 4:44:20 PM]

I think everyone should leave them alone personally. What if you had created a software company and it got huge like his? Then later on everyone seems to have a blind hatred for your company when most of them don''t know what the hell they''re talking about. Microsoft should not have to release ANY of its source. Not one line if it does not wish. All this crap simply makes it to where the sky is no longer the limit. You can only become so successful in America now.

Mindgamez Entertainment

quote:
Then later on everyone seems to have a blind hatred for your company when most of them don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Are you saying that the multiple courts that have found Microsoft guilty of illegal business practices are driven by blind hatred? Sorry, but there are TONS of valid reasons to be very critical of that particular company. You must be blinded by your love of Bill's money to defend his illegal monopoly.

quote:
You can only become so successful in America now.

So you think it is wrong to criticize people who use illegal business practices to make money. What other crimes do you think are acceptable? Should we stop criticizing the Enron and WorldCom execs? Are people too harsh against robbers and drug dealers? Hey, they are all just trying to make a buck and some get very successful!

[edited by - HenryAPe on September 2, 2002 5:04:31 PM]

quote:
Original post by HenryApe
Are you saying that the multiple courts that have found Microsoft guilty of illegal business practices are driven by blind hatred? Sorry, but there are TONS of valid reasons to be very critical of that particular company. You must be blinded by your love of Bill''s money to defend his illegal monopoly.

Millions of dollars and thousands of hours have found that MS have a monopoly in a market they don''t even participate in.

I''d say that yes, something other than in interest in the facts has motivated this action and its findings.

Actually I wasn''t refering to the courts, I was refering to the little kiddies going around yelling "M$ is badx0r". And do you honestly think that a company that rich could get there completely legaly? Heck no, but did it affect you in a BAD way, nope.

Mindgamez Entertainment

quote:
I''d say that yes, something other than in interest in the facts has motivated this action and its findings.

It is funny that Microsoft bashers are often accused of being driven by irrational emotions like hate when defence of the company requires a big conspiracy theory about multiple US courts unjustly attacking the US most successful company.

quote:
And do you honestly think that a company that rich could get there completely legaly?

Apparently Microsoft have not, but are you suggesting that criminals should not be prosecuted if they are successful enough? That again forces the question, what other crimes should you be able to get away with?

quote:
Heck no, but did it affect you in a BAD way, nope.

Of course it did. As a Java programmer, Microsoft''s illegal actions have had a number of negative effects for me. These are now being brought up in a separate suit by Sun against Microsoft.