Screw it

Started by
16 comments, last by Sycotik_Episodes 21 years, 7 months ago
You should learn C++. That is the primary language for game programming, and will be for a *long* time.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by groby
I know you want to make a game, and you want to make it fast. But you need help to do that. And people will judge you by what they can see of you - your posts. If your posts look sloppy, everybody will assume the same about your code, no matter if it''s true or not.

And they''ll also assume the same about your attitude.

My advice is this.

1) Realize that what you''re trying to do is very difficult and will take a long time.

2) Decide to take the time to learn a solid language(preferably C/C++)

3) Learn a graphics API (OpenGL or D3D are the most common)

4) Don''t give up! If you put a lot of time into learning things, you''ll begin to understand them. Just practice as much as you can and don''t expect to have a game by tommorow, or next week, or next month! If you set your standards TOO high, you''ll let yourself down and give up.

I''ve been programming c++ for about 2 1/2 years, and OpenGL for about 1 1/2, and I''m just beginning to be able to understand advanced concepts and put them to use. But trust me, when you get there, its a good feelling.

If you decide to take your time, you''ll get somewhere, but if you think your gonna be pro in a year, your outta luck

So, I hope my rant gave you some motivation, and good luck on your conquests through game programming

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I''m reaching up and reaching out. I''m reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one''s been. We''ll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one''s been." - Maynard James Keenan [TheBlackJester ]
[Wildfire Studios ]

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - Maynard James Keenan Name: [email=darkswordtbj@hotmail.com]TheBlackJester[/email]Team: Wildfire Games
Projects O A.D.The Last Alliance

aight, im taking the advice that i was given, im going offline totaly to devote my time to Programming, OpenGl, DiredtX, Python, C/C++, all of it, i think yuo all for the posts, and i wont be here to read them anymore, I hope that when i come back you are ALL FREE to join a team....Thanks again...Later..

Syco
i think i was in his position a while ago, but i realised that C++ and VB, my chosen languages, were not eay to learn for a beginner then i though ok, ill have to make a game in about 3 - 4 yrs. When i mean a game i mean fully 3d. As i have a, imo, GR8 idea for a game and would love to produce it but have no team to do so and have not the knowledge to produce the game.
www.blitzbasic.com / www.darkbasic.com

Bad Monkey Productions
Thanks for the rant, it does help to know someone is on my side, i do want to learn all languages, i know some fall short of others and stuff, i like the openGl games better, and i''ll probably learn both of those too, only problem i have is i dled a C++ coder and compiler and i cant figure them out, but today is the last day i plan on bein here, so i can start delving into the programming world once again, thanks again for the rant, it does help, and i''ll be telling my self that for a good while, thanks to the one that added that link, it looks easier than the one that i have,,,,thank you all
quote:Well, if getting money is what you want, then your in the wrong industry.

^^^^

Damn, have we really classified it down to ignorant game programmers that think theyll get money, and game programmers that just do it because they love it?

Although its very difficult to make money in this industry, it doesnt mean that its impossible, or it cant be done. And what about the satisfaction that EVERY ONE OF US gets when we know that someone has enjoyed a game that we created, told us how great a game we created is. The point is making money is always nice, but there are other ways of recieving payment(besides the physical form) aswell, and that we all love/enjoy it, otherwise we wouldnt be here in the first place.

[edited by - Zavenus on September 2, 2002 4:21:15 PM]
quote:Original post by Zavenus
Well, if getting money is what you want, then your in the wrong industry.

^^^^

Damn, have we really classified it down to ignorant game programmers that think theyll get money, and game programmers that just do it because they love it?

Although its very difficult to make money in this industry, it doesnt mean that its impossible, or it cant be done. And what about the satisfaction that EVERY ONE OF US gets when we know that someone has enjoyed a game that we created, told us how great a game we created is. The point is there are different kinds or recieving payment than just money, and that we all love it, or we wouldnt be here.

Right on. That's why I'm here.

[edited by - Fucho on September 2, 2002 4:06:30 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement