3D Studio Max to MD2 conversion.

Started by
3 comments, last by Dradcor 21 years, 7 months ago
How can I go about easily converting 3D Studio Max models to an MD2 format? I feel like I should know this, but I don''t. I''ve been wasting hordes of time trying to make my own model format and making a conversion app that takes an output file from 3DStudioMax and converts it. But now I know that my time would be much better spent just adapting my game to use MD2. Anyone who can point me in the right direction will be greatly admired and praised by me.
Advertisement
if you take a look at qtools , free source code from id , there is a file showing how john carmack ''compiles'' it model , md2 uses a sort of compiled rendering which breaks the models into fan adn strips, the code ( actually not a class ) handls limited triangles and vertices ( spelling ? ) for each model, and all of its decision branches are realized trhough the goto statement , if you take a look at it you could encapsulate it in a class, and use stl to manage arbitrary sized triangles and vertices ,
jus edit your 3dsmax model, save in 3ds , do a program that reads 3ds file and transform it into a fan and strip model , note that it is virtually a md2 model, since it uses the same rednering loop to be drawn.
i hope it helps, and sorry for my english

Why not just write a plugin/script for max for your own format, or just search on google for a max->md2 exporter (theres one called ''QTip'' I think. Of course that assumes you actually mean you have max and not just trying to go .max->.md2
I''ve used Q2 Modeler.
You can load 3ds-files and save them as md2.

Take a look here:
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/resources/quake2/tools.shtml
Milkshape can do forewared and back conversions. You can also use an md2 plugin for max. I think its called q-tip but im not sure.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement