Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to use, FVF's or streams ?

This topic is 5585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The SDK help calls FVF''s ''Legacy FVF format''. Instead you can setup streams. If you use the FVF construction, it only uses stream 0, with structures with xyz, color, normal, tu,tv. Instead I could also use separate streams, as explained in the SDK. What would be wise, continue using the FVF way (as it''s used a lot in samples, and works ok) or start using streams ? FVF''s is the DX7 and earlier way, I assume they weren''t introduced just to make stuff more complex, but have a benefit ? See http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dx8_c/directx_cpp/Graphics/ProgrammersGuide/UsingDirect3D/VertexData/FixedFunction/LegacyFVFFormat.asp

If you''re using the fixed-function vertex processing, I don''t think there is any need to use streams, maybe vertex tweening is the only exception. If you think FVF is enough for you, I don''t see any problem in using it.

My site