Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Da cobra

can't decide

which book should I buy now? I've already read all the reviews and it comes down to these 3 books, that would be the best choice for me : "Special Effects Game Programming with DirectX 8.0" "Game Programming Gems" & "Beginning Direct3D Game Programming" first of all I need to say that I'm no newbie to DirectX I already know DirectDraw, input, sound, .... but now I want to learn D3D 8 and how to implent D3D in a game which one should be best for me? Is "Special Effects Game Programming with DirectX 8.0" only about sfx mostly? and "Game Programming Gems" is it mostly about game programming? Also which will be the cheapest place for me to buy one? I live in Europe. thanx in advance for any tips. [edited by - Da Cobra on September 1, 2002 7:17:40 AM]

I have all 3 of those books. From what it sounds like u want, Beginning Direct3D would be your best bet (it''s also my favourite directx book).

eb.

I bought that Special Effects Game Programming with DirectX book (for 80 euro) but found it not what I expected. The first half is just an introduction to DirectX. If you read that first and then read the SDK introduction you feel a little cheated as you realise the book is just a rewrite of the SDK texts, it even includes the same picture of a pipe. The vertex shader chapter explains what it is, but after reading it you don''t know why you should use one. I haven''t explored the effects yet,

As a tutorial to DirectX it''s not that good, the examples are just the first few directx samples, a triangle in view space, a triangle in world space, but it glances over many things.