raceing game idea

Started by
10 comments, last by MSW 21 years, 7 months ago
An idea for a futureistic fast paced raceing game. adds a bit of stratigy to the mix Each player is in control of a team consisting of three race vehicals. The AI controls the other two while the player controls one of them and can swap control with the others at any time. each race vehical can "combine" with others on the same team...these "combos" have pros and cons over the individual raceers...for example a vehical set-up for high speed combined with one set-up for high acceleration could result in a vehcial that is much more damage resistant but isn''t as fast or quick as the vehicals seperately. vehical damage automaticly heals as the race continues. and racers are able to swipe at opponets to slow them down...while swipeing at your team mates helps you speed up. so far, pretty average right? well here is the kicker...racers are eliminated with each lap...and the goal is to be the "last man/team raceing"...this works as follows: at the end of lap 1 a vehical on the blue team is in the lead...meening the blue team leads the race...as soon as the last vehical on that team completes the first lap, every vehical behind it gets eliminated...this continues with each lap...whatever team leads the lap, as soon as the last memeber of the team completes thier lap, all others following are eliminated....if that doesn''t make sense this might help: At the end of lap #1: order of lap completeion...Blue #A, Red #B, Green #A, Blue #C, Green #B, Blue #B...all others are eliminated At the end of lap #2 (Green #A takes the lead) Green #A, Blue #A, Red #B, Blue #C, Green #B...all others eliminated At the end of lap #3 (Red #B takes the lead) Winner is Red #B as he is the only member of the team still raceing Does that make sense? Course there is a bonus for winning in as few laps as possable and a extra bonus for winning with two or more team mates and/or winning in combined forum. Corse this is suppost to be a fun, fast paced, arcade type of game...what do you think?
Advertisement
Sounds ok except for the way you finish races IMHO. I am not to fancy on the idea that the race could be over on the first lap or the second. But this is just me.

The combining sounds to be a good idea, but just wondering how close do you have to be with the other racers to combie? and how exactly would it work, would it produce a bigger vehicle all together? how often could you do it and for how long?
-Cokeman
Keep in mind that the race could even go on indefinately...if a team Blue car is in the lead, and one is in last place...the whole field keeps going...winning on the first lap would be pretty impossable, that would require all three vehicals on the same team to cross the finnish line in first, second, and third place (or combined into one or two vehicals..finnishing first and second respectfully).

The vehicals only have to get close enough to "hit" each other...and the combo is larger then the vehicals are seperately...combos would idealy be used more for team defence, trying to hold the posisitions of team (keep others from passing)....the combo can be done at any time (as long as the team vehicals are close enough)...and it lasts indefinately...the player can break them appart at any time...or if the combo is damaged enough it is automatcly broken appart.

The vehicals themselves are more like robots with wheels on thier arms and legs that they can use to punch/kick other racers with.

Each vehical has a "turbo" that can give them a short burst of speed...this is tied directly to the damage meter...pressing the "turbo" button gives them a speed burst as long as the button is pressed, but it quickly drains damage as this happens...damage is slowly automaticly healed as the race progresses...if the damage meter runs out the vehical explodes and is out of the race.

I''m not going for Grand Turismo here...just a fun, little game that can be quickly played...but has enough depth to keep the player interested...this depth would hopefully come from the play mechanics, not the extra vehicals and such :D
If one team has a bad first lap they would need the rest of the race to recover. I don''t know how much of the game involves getting to know your opposition during play (since the goal is to just be the fastest), but hopefully first-lap elimination won''t be a detriment. An otherwise good player would be eliminated because he had an unfortunate start, and that might not sit well.

Just considering a worst case scenario.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
There will always be at least one car eliminated per lap.
This sounds like a really cool idea but I think you would have massive problems with the AI. If you look at a regular NASCAR like racing game all that AI is required to do is make it around the track with out running into the other cars. In this type of game the AI would have to know what’s its best combination of vehicles is.

This could potentially create problems for players trying to join all three of their cars where after joining my first two I switch to the 3rd and the AI unhooks the other two because they are faster apart.

You would also run into problems trying to join a fast car with a slow car. Image your fastest car is out front and you slowest car is at the back of the pack. If you drop all the way to the back of the pack to hook up with it then you put your self in danger of losing both your fastest and slowest car if another player crosses the finish line.

It’s definitely doable to overcome these obstacles but you would need very well designed outputs for any given situation.
The winning conditions aren''t very balanced. It would be advantageous to get most of your team killed off as soon as possible, and then make a mad rush to win the current lap for an instant victory. Your team is a liability as any other racers ahead of any of your team will stay in the game.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]
Funny, I''d had the same problem with it as Kylotan. Fact is there is no reason whatsoever to let your teammates play well; you''re better off letting them come in dead last in the first lap, make sure you''re the only one still in contention and then you could potentially win it all in the 2nd lap.

I''d think the goal would be to finish the game as a team, not an individual - or there''s no real point to the team concept. The game could work if there''s complete elimination, almost a demolition derby meets nascar style of game. Last man standing wins, period; this way you could potentially come down to a single car for each team racing the final lap.
[font "arial"] Everything you can imagine...is real.
Maybe I''m explaining this wrong...not being clear enough...

Lets say on of your team mates leads the lap...all cars after your last team mate to cross the start/finnish line are eliminated...all other team cars between the lead and last car on your team get to continue on the next lap.

Yeah you could let your team mates die off...and as long as you lead the lap...you win the race...but you only won with one car...so you only get $100 ...but if you had three team mates finnish the lap (with no other team car in possistions between your team lap leader and the last car on your team)...then you get a sizeable bonus for haveing three cars win the race that goes something like this:

win with 1 car get $100
win with 2 cars get $10,000 ($100 X $100)
win with 3 cars get $1,000,000 ($100 X $100 X $100)

This is in addition to the lap bonus...the fewer the laps the more the bonus.

does that help explain things?
What happens if you switch to one of the AI cars just as it is approaching an obstacle? SMASH! You would not have time to react.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement