Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[java] Java Game Programming

This topic is 5576 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Guys .. Is their any source available . how can i start 2D - 3D Game Programming in Java , I mean any tutorials . And one other thing Java 3D doesn''t work with J2Sdk1.4.0 am i right or i just i am having the problem and how can i use FullScreen in Java .. Thanks alot you Great Programmers

hi,
first, let's begin with separating the 2D, the 3D and the game subject.

About 2D:
if you want to make hi-performance app, with fullscreen support, you can start at java's
sun tutorial about Full-Screen Exclusive Mode API.
For further tutorials, you can also google for 'VolatileImage', these ones are used in fullscreen apps and profit from hardware acceleration.

About 3D:
If you also want hi-performance here, you can look at GL4J. It's a java implementation based on open GL. I don't know what it is worth since i never used it. You can also check java's 3D api. But also here, i've no idea of the performances.

About game:
I fear experience is the only way.
But good techniques and good programming style can be learned easely.

good luck !

PS: java 3D should work with J2Sdk1.4.0 !!!

[edited by - misterX on September 1, 2002 1:38:25 PM]

ooh... i made a big mistake... i''ve totally forgot that java3D was based on openGL & directX. So you can forget GL4J, it''s much better to use java3D (and it should be faster).

i''ve noticed problems trying to use the fullscreen API on a macintosh. It says myDevice most likely has not been initialized correctly. I got the code from the Java SDK site... Is the fact that I''m tryin gto do it on a mac the problem?

Arkanae is a 3D game written in Java that comes with source and all.

quote:
Is the fact that I''m tryin gto do it on a mac the problem?

Is there really an implementation of JDK1.4 for Mac yet? I thought the latest version was JDK1.3... The full-screen exclusive mode API is only available in JDK1.4 and later.

hmmm i''m not even sure... All I know is I was trying to use it on a MetroWorks CodeWarrior development IDE in school that the java teacher doesn''t even understand much yet. heh... as i''m sure some people could understand... fun class =/

Talking about Java games. Would anyone know where I could find a source code of a simple game that uses the network option for multiplayer game? I could use that since I have no clue whatsoever on how to implement this on one game of mine.

Btw SolidSnake2002, I have a source code of my first game on-line. It''s really simple, hope it''s helpful:

http://programmersheaven.com/zone13/cat564/22151.htm

Advise: Start doing games for J2ME, Java Applets are kind of dead these days.

Telmo Amaro - codingdreams.xrs.net