What to learn next in order to get into game industry?

Started by
5 comments, last by Rad76 21 years, 7 months ago
Ok, I have been programming in VB for about 3.5 years now, and we ALL know that there is no way on EARTH that ANY game company will hire a programmer with only VB skills. Now my question is, what should I learn next if I want to be a professional game programmer? Is it VB.net, VC++, C#? What will become the industry standard in about 4 years when I finish studying? All replies will be greatly appreciated Thanks!
Advertisement
Just learn C++ to start. Then start learning about OSs like Windows 98, Windows 2000/XP. Linux, etc. Then start writing little games. Then start writing big games.

Never throw away any of the games you''ve written, those are what you need to get into the game industry.
Stephen ManchesterSenior Technical LeadVirtual Media Vision, Inc.stephen@virtualmediavision.com(310) 930-7349
Heh, but you are lucky. ''Cause see, the only thing differing from program language to program language (almost) is just the syntax. If you are a programmer, you understand algorithms and have a sense for it, then you should learn as much as you can. The point is knowing a language, not knowing a language inside out.

See, if you get Visual Studio.NET then you will be able to develop modules in different languages and put them together in one program. So what I''m suggesting is that you start with pure C, then go to the OOP-heavy big-brother C++, continue on to C3 and so on... Now, with every language you somewhat learn, you develop a module for a game, which you store in a VS.NET solution.

In the end, you will have several languages that compose one game, and you will be one hell of a programmer, heh.
-----------------------------Final Frontier Trader
quote:Original post by biovenger
Heh, but you are lucky. ''Cause see, the only thing differing from program language to program language (almost) is just the syntax. If you are a programmer, you understand algorithms and have a sense for it, then you should learn as much as you can. The point is knowing a language, not knowing a language inside out.

See, if you get Visual Studio.NET then you will be able to develop modules in different languages and put them together in one program. So what I''m suggesting is that you start with pure C, then go to the OOP-heavy big-brother C++, continue on to C3 and so on... Now, with every language you somewhat learn, you develop a module for a game, which you store in a VS.NET solution.

In the end, you will have several languages that compose one game, and you will be one hell of a programmer, heh.

Sounds nice, if only I had the time to learn all of those languages, and you have to draw a fine line between "knowing a language" and "knowing a language inside out". Hmm, I guess I''ll start with what I have VC++ 6 and then to C#.
That''s a good idea. C++ is the industry standard in Game Development these days, so you can''t go wrong with that.
daerid@gmail.com
Ehe, yeah. I must admit my idea was a little idealistic, but hehe, it would be fun, wouldn''t it? Heh...
-----------------------------Final Frontier Trader
Read up on algorithms as well. Code quality (speed, size, etc)is determined by 1. the algorithm and then 2. the language, and in that order.

So read popular algorithms, write your own, do whatever it takes. It will help to teach you how to really program, and is pretty much language independant.

Good Luck!

Wizza Wuzza?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement