Good DirectX books

Started by
4 comments, last by Maega 21 years, 7 months ago
Hey guys, I want to learn DirectX (Direct3D mostly). What is the best book(s) a beginner in DirectX (might as well include advanced topics as I will get there eventually ) should buy? I have plenty of money.. thats why Im asking It doesn''t have to be game development specific.
Advertisement
No suggestions?

Im going to the book store today
any of the prima tech books I have liked

only down side is they all spend the first 100 pages reviewing c++ or something basic.. but after that it is good stuff

Also the chapters where they contemplate old video games is a waste. I want a book where every chapter is filled with code
http://www.mattherb.com now with CATCAM!
Really and truely, I find it hard to recommend and book based soely around DirectX. The reason for this is that a) Most of the information is in the SDK, and b) The book will be out of date when DirectX 9 is released.

What I recommend is getting a few books on 3D algorithms in general and then once you understand why and how things are implemented mess around with the examples and documentation in the SDK to see how DirectX does it.
Jx are right,

As long as you know the basics in 3D computer graphics then learning DirectX from the SDK docs is the best option there is. All the DirectX books available are pretty lame.

Jacob Marner, M.Sc.
Console Programmer, Deadline Games
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
Just be sure not to buy Zen of Direct3D programming. The code for the game engine is awful (one long header file), it covers a lot of crap you won''t be interested in and the author''s writing style will make you want to punch his face if you ever meet him. Other than that, it''s pretty good. Want to buy my copy?

www.bankie.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement