Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

angrytofu

MULTIPLAYER GAME PROGRAMMING book

This is a great book . I think the best book out there for a beginner to get set up with programming multiplayer games after some c++ exp. But some of the examples do not compile/link correctly with vc++ 7.0. The example that shows a directplay client and a server seperatly only links the right way if you build it in RELEASE mode. What is that about? In debug mode I get DPChatClient error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__timeGetTime@0 referenced in function "float __stdcall DXUtil_Timer(enum TIMER_COMMAND)" (?DXUtil_Timer@@YGMW4TIMER_COMMAND@@@Z) DPChatClient fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals Anyone else out there with this book run into these problems?

Guest Anonymous Poster
sorry...but you are mistaken, for timeGetTime you need to link with Winmm.lib

yup that was it. .missing winmm.lib

i assumed the author already had everything set

I still am not sure why the author spent many chapters talking about winsock and then dumping it all to go into directplay.

Winsock is a more preferred way of dealing with larger multiplayer schemes. Supposedly, what DirectPlay does internally has too much overhead to make a good solution for larger network projects (such as MMORPG's).

The author figured it was a good idea to get exposure to both. Exposure is good, as long as it's not the wrong kind in public.

[edited by - Waverider on September 1, 2002 7:31:05 PM]

quote:
Original post by Waverider
Winsock is a more preferred way of dealing with larger multiplayer schemes. Supposedly, what DirectPlay does internally has too much overhead to make a good solution for larger network projects (such as MMORPG''s).

The author figured it was a good idea to get exposure to both. Exposure is good, as long as it''s not the wrong kind in public.

I believe DirectPlay8 has been improved significantly. The overhead in network bytes shouldn''t be too much, if you pay attention to which messages are important and which are not.

The whole system (different priority queues, automatic discarding of messages that are too old) etc. is nice, and it would be quite some work to implement that directly. And you might get something that isn''t any better. Directplay itself uses Winsock itself also.

ok that is what i was wondering. if winsock was to directplay like win32 apl is to MFC

speaking of mfc I quit my mfc project and vowed never to go back to MFC. With .NET I should never have to think about doc/views anymore