Making a Sci-Fi Sounding MIDI?

Started by
4 comments, last by rjahrman 21 years, 7 months ago
How do professionals make sci-fi songs (like Homeworld''s soundtrack)? Does anyone have suggestions if I made a sci-fi song with traditional MIDI intruments?
Advertisement
My suggestion is to not even consider it. Not to sound too negative, but traditional midi is useless unless you''re making a $2.99 game... and even then I''d never pay a dime for it.

-Chris
-Chris
I''m exporting the files as WMAs from Melody Assistant which uses it''s own synthesizer (which is great, by the way). The only reason I meantioned MIDI is because it uses the standard MIDI instruments.
Not a 3$ game but an alien demo. Ain''t I right? =)))
quote:Original post by rjahrman
How do professionals make sci-fi songs (like Homeworld's soundtrack)? Does anyone have suggestions if I made a sci-fi song with traditional MIDI intruments?

If you're stucked using GM instruments, try experimenting with synth leads, effect pads and using unorthodox ranges of normal instruments (ie: using the bass part of the flute) . just a thought...

---
http://www.michaelhuang.com
Michael Huang Productions
Music (and sfx) for gamers, by a gamer!

[edited by - mhuang on September 13, 2002 7:35:51 AM]
---www.gamenoise.comaudio for games
HOw do you mean by "traditional Midi Instruments" ?

Do you mean GM Synth on your sound card, or do you just mean using a Sequencer as opposed to say a Loop Based or SoftSynth editor like Reason, or FruityLoops?

If the output is not going to be a MIDI file, then that leaves your options open. Specially if you''re exporting to a flat file such as WAV, MP3, WMA .. etc.

Sci-fi music well, that''s just experimentation, of course you can write Sci-Fi music with MIDI, but what it sounds like will depend on your production tools.

Using MIDI to compose, you may want to consider using a VSTi host such as Logic Audio or Cubase SX, I am sure there are others as well. At least that will give you a different choice of sound other than the built in Synth in your sound card, or Melody Assitant. There are a lot of FREE VST effects and soft synths out there so just mix and match what grabs your attention.

Anyway, hope that helps..

----
"Music is not something you just do, it''''s part of who you are!"
Game Audio Professional
www.GroovyAudio.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement