Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Star

getting around network restrictions

at my college they have restricted us from using Yahoo chat by installing a firewall network so that the Yahoo software cannot work and that we cannot chat on any chat rooms. Does anyone know how to get around this in any way?? Come I need some pure hacking help here

a) Get around the firewall (good luck )
b) Get a firewall version of the application, I don't know if Yahoo chat has that

The reason it's not possible in any other way is that almost all firewalls work the the default deny stance, i.e. deny all traffic that is not specificly permited.
Almost all network applications uses some port to communicate through, HTTP uses 80, FTP 21 and so on. Therefore the port Yahoo is using has been closed and unless it's opened again, the application switch port number of you use some kind of proxying, it won't work.

I've read somewhere that the new ICQ version will have firewall support though.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown

Edited by - Spiff on 4/6/00 7:51:14 AM

My college also has an annoying firewall (doesn''t let me into Gamasutra either).

Looking forward to firewall ICQ

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

Look for one of the applications out there than can "SOCKSify" a regular connection. I''ve seen several for *nix clones, although at this moment I can''t think of any names. If the firewall is set to permit SOCKS traffic, that can help a lot. [ICQ already supports socks, BTW].

Your other alternative is to see if you can find an open port (ftp, for example), get someone somewhere else to run a port translating proxy, and go out to all the sites you want via that proxy.