Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dirtymb

Where do i start

Right first things first. I wanna learn to program graphics. I have a copy of visual c++, a lot of patience and some programming knowledge, which involved limited c and java programming now on to the tricky bit, where do i start, i wanna get stuff on the screen but have no idea how,any suggestions for a newbie please? cheers

This''ll help you get some stuff on the screen... It won''t be fast, but it''ll be there...

Use MFC AppWizard to create a SDI (Single Document Interface) application. Then, in the View class, you can use CDC methods. Go into MSDN (which you probably have on your hard disk or on a CD), and locate CDC Class Members in the index. This is a topic you''ll want to bookmark. Study this enough, and you should be able to put some primitves up on the window. Not fast, not fullscreen, but you can get acquainted with the coordinate system...

From there, make the jump to DirectDraw...

I would recommend learning C++, and not using the MFC or GDI much at all (for game programming anyway).

DirectDraw is much cleaner.. and there are many wrapper classes available that make it much easier to use..

for instance, one I wrote has a syntax somewhat like this:

Cdraw.Init(HWND);
Cdraw.SetMode(640,480,CDD_24BIT);
Cdraw.Blit

etc...

I would send it to you if you asked, although I promise you there are better ones out there

Adam Milazzo
adamm@san.rr.com