Should we keep Visual Studio 6 if we have .NET

Started by
16 comments, last by Shadow1234567890 21 years, 7 months ago
I just got .NET a while ago, and I was wondering if I should ditch VS 6 altogether, or if that is even necessary. I like both of them, and one of my books teaches specifically using Visual Studio 6 (Beginning Visual C++ 6 by Ivor Horton). Things move along so fast, it is difficult to keep up, but I really don''t want to have any ''old'' software that may become obsolete.
What do you mean ''Someday become a programmer?'' I'm a programmer right now!
Advertisement
No real reason to throw it away, is there?

"When you know the LORD you have no need for masturbation!"
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Well that''s just it, I honestly don''t know. I mean how fast do things become obsolete in the computer world, that answer is fast. I guess I will reinstall it for now but I think there will be a time when no one will ever use it.

What do you mean ''Someday become a programmer?'' I'm a programmer right now!
Keep it, but keep in mind that vc.net is newer. It should (if used properly) be more productive to spend time with vc.net as it has x years ahead of it, whilst vc6 is nearing the end of it''s x years. In saying that, vc6 is far from useless, and certainly useful if you are more familiar with it for some tasks. Quite a few things in the interface of the interface for vc.net change from vc 6 but through my experience learning how to do things in vc6 encourages you to explore new things in net.
Doesn''t the VC .net use a completely different language? Doesn''t it use C#?
vlov: Uh, no. VC.NET is still C++. There IS a VC# though...it''s all part of VisualStudio.NET

Shadow: If you have VS.NET (or even just VC.NET), what would be the need for having VC6 installed at the same time? They do the same thing. About the book, I don''t know, but I imagine you could use it with .NET. Certainly most of the material will be applicable.

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

I''ve kept VS6 around solely to fulfil backwards-compatibility requirements (I have to write VB6 for work, and occasionally test VC6 code).
char a[99999],*p=a;int main(int c,char**V){char*v=c>0?1[V]:(char*)V;if(c>=0)for(;*v&&93!=*v;){62==*v&&++p||60==*v&&--p||43==*v&&++*p||45==*v&&--*p||44==*v&&(*p=getchar())||46==*v&&putchar(*p)||91==*v&&(*p&&main(0,(char**)(--v+2))||(v=(char*)main(-1,(char**)++v)-1));++v;}else for(c=1;c;c+=(91==*v)-(93==*v),++v);return(int)v;}  /*** drpizza@battleaxe.net ***/
My uni still uses VC6, so that''s what I''ll be using. No point in using .net if I can''t open the workspace up at uni now, is there?

- CheeseMonger
- CheeseMonger
dont ditch it.

my company did that, and boy did we suffer.. some damn mfc message map code got wasted because of compatibility ..

keep your vc6. unless someone wants to buy it for a high price..

Its my duty, to please that booty ! - John Shaft
i''ve heard that you can set up VC7 up to be exactly like 6..
not to mention the compiler is x% faster...
only thing that has held me back is that whole tomato hadn''t
released visual assist for vc7 as of my last check.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement