Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to implement Collision Detection?

This topic is 5586 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am aiming to set up a virtual grid of sections over my world so that i can cut down on the number of objects checked during collision detection. Therefore i only have to check the objects in the same section as the player''s object. However i am struggling with the code to set this up. I tried making a cSection class and a cGrid class. Each section keeps a list of all objects inside it and the grid keeps track of the positions of all the sections So there is a list of sections in the grid and a list of objects in each section. First of all does that sound like a goo way of implementing it? Second how do i get the objects to tell the sections which section it should be in? Thirdly the reason for doing it this way is so that i don''t have to loop through every object to check which section it is in and that i only have to look at the section data - i don''t think i am managing this though Please could someone provide me with a code sample on how to do this. I am struggling. Also is using a vector a good way of doing a linked list for this kind of thing? (e.g. tracking th objects in a section is done through a vectorObjList

PLEASE IGNORE THIS THREAD I POSTED ANOTHER EXACTLY THE SAME BECAUSE MY NETWORK WENT DOWN ASI POSTED IT AND I DIDN''T THINK IT WENT THROUGH...IF YOU HAVE A REPLY PLEASE POST IT IN THE OTHER THREAD ABOVE THIS ONE - SOZ