Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is easier to learn???

This topic is 5582 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This one''s been asked so often, so stand by for some flames (but not from me). Most beginners say OpenGL is easier; experienced people tend to think there isn''t much of a difference. In any case, there are more good books and articles on the net about OpenGL than Direct3D.

www.bankie.com

Nyo!
Well, I think OpenGL is easier to learn because it doesn`t need a lot of confusing classes. Also, DirectX is Windows specific, OpenGL can be used for Linux as well...
On the other hand, DirectX has a lot High-Level functions, for
3D-Models for example.
Best is to learn both of them :-)
I suggest to start with OpenGL.

I agree on OpenGL being easier to learn. The concepts of the rendering pipeline (matrices, submitting primitives, etc.) is more intuitive.

When (if) you learn DirectX, you''ll find it does things a little more short-handed in certain cases, and it might hide the concepts from you a bit. OpenGL will expose you to those concepts more clearly.

quote:
Original post by Big Sassy
wow, this hasn''t been closed yet? Michalson''s slacking off

We should give hime a break because it''s a holiday.

Well, I started off with DirectX and never really touched OGL.
I can`t say it is too difficult. On the other hand I would agree that GL is simpler to learn.
But of course being windows dependent sometimes enables cool features (Built in font support and the likes)

quote:
Original post by Big Sassy
wow, this hasn''t been closed yet? Michalson''s slacking off

There''s no reason to close such threads. Beginners have to start somewhere, and one of the ideas often not known to beginners is how to utilize available information.

Perrin: Use gamedev''s articles, read previous posts made in the forums, and most importantly learn how to use a search engline ala google.

Neither! They''re both rubbish... What you need to learn is about mode 13h!! It rox0rz! Haven''t you seen the wonders of what can be done in true 8bit color!!! And you can initialize the mode in 3 lines of code, instead of hundreds like the other two!!!

And in mode 13h you have complete access to the frame buffer and you can create your own frame buffers in memory and use the cpu to blit them!!! No need to burden your GPU with such operations!!

Just think of the power!! Super high 320x200 resolution! How could you not want to program for mode 13h?!??!!

/end joke

This topic is 5582 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.