Filling in the plane equation (Ax+By+Cz+D=0)

Started by
2 comments, last by SimDemon 21 years, 7 months ago
How would I go about filling in the plane equation (Ax+By+Cz+D=0)? I am going to use it for collision detection, but I haven''t figured out how to fill in the equation as you can probably tell. Anyhow, please help me! If thispost = 0 Then GoBack() Else Read() End If
I'll have a link to the TriFaze website as soon as possible. It's still currently being designed, by myself of course! =) I'll update the URL and my signature as soon as possible.Feel free to send me a message on Yahoo! or AOL IM™. =)
Advertisement
Hi

the vector (A,B,C) is the ''normalized normal'' of the plane. D is the distance from the plane to the origin.
So the usual practice is to just hold the normal and D in a plane struct/class. Filling it in goes then like this:

void Plane::FromPoints ( Vector v1, Vector v2, Vector v3 ){	Vector d1, d2;	d1 = v2 - v1;	d2 = v3 - v1;	normal = CrossProduct ( d2, d1 );	normal.Normalize ();	D = -(normal.x*v1.x + normal.y*v1.y + normal.z*v1.z);}  

where v1, v2 and v3 are three arbitrary points on the plane

Runicsoft -- home of my open source Function Parser and more
Don''t think it has to be normalized (A,B,C). You may want it normalized for other reasons though
http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/geometry/planeeq/

google, first hit..

google("Plane Equation Ax+By+Cz+D=0");

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement