Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teast

New to OpenGL need help with a small problem =)

Hi all! Well I''m pretty new to C++ and realy new to OpenGL (started today) hehe well I got a small problem.. It''s about the "help tooltiptext" that u usual receive when u type a function that is located in a header-file (I think) well anyway I never receive any such tool-tip... ex. if I type "glViewPort(" I dont receive what kind of var it should be.. and I realy dont whant to learn what the order all the var is in on the gl functions hehe.. Hope you guys can help me out and sorry about my bad spelling =) /Teast

It''s called IntelliSense, I believe. I don''t know why it doesn''t work, but you''re not alone. It''s never worked for me, and apparently only one person i know has had it work, but only with the help of VisualAssist. If you have the Docs installed, you can press F1 to get the parameters and a description.

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

VC++ doesnt do it for OGL. Its not a big problem though, most OGL commands are simple. Besides, the red book is free anyway, so if you dont know something, reference it (you''re right, you shouldnt have to memorize every function in c++, just reference what you need).

One word of advice: dont rely heavily on intellisence. It will screw up your abilities as a programmer. You will find that you wont be able to program on old compilers. It also sucks if you are going to write a programming contest (i mean the ones you have to go to and write on a piece of paper - the ones universities host). You will also find that your programming speed will be reduced severly, as you fumble around trying to figure out why your tool tip wont pop up (probably because of some error you made when you were coding). Draft fast, because ideas are here for a second and then gone just as fast- spellcheck or should i say codecheck your code after.

"Free advice is seldom cheap."
-- Rule of Acquisition #59

Happens usually...but since I don`t have the VC++ I do it this way :
I type Function_Name();
And it will reply with :
1 :Too few arguments in function Funation_Nama(int a,float b)
2 :At this Point of file
And you get the idea...

Go here for a header file which you simply include in your project. It will give you the intellisense for most commands.

http://www.levp.de/3d/files/glparam.zip

I use it in all of my projects.

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~univ1234