Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pixel and Vertex Shaders?

This topic is 5584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just have to ask this, What exactly are Pixel and Vertex shaders? Everything I have read and everyone I have talked to have only given me dodgy answers similar to "they allow primitives to be drawn with more colors" or something to that effect. I am looking for a more detailed explanation, and I''m confident that the people on this forum can give me what I''m looking for. Thanks, roekai

Guest Anonymous Poster
They allow you to "reprogram" the graphics pipeline. normally, you use the dafualt rendering pipeline and you set states so that default processing takes place.

For instance, in a Vertex shader, you would have to manually transform the coordinates to world/view space.

In a pixel shader, you would have to texture or color each pixel maunally.

This custom programing allows for faster processing (by eliminating unnessary steps) and lets you perform more advandced techniques.

i know how he feels..

explaining shaders is really hard to do unless the person unless some 3d background to how things work now.

I really do not fully understand it myself. I am busy with other things at the moment but when I get a geforce5 I will start looknig more into it cause it seems like a good time.

I am interested in reading further on this. I would like to find out what these unnecesseary steps are, and all of the other normal steps. Where can I find more information on this topic?

roekai

There''s a rather in-depth explanation of the rendering pipeline (at least for Direct3D) and the architecture of your average pixel shader written by Wolfgang Engel: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1820.asp. A similar series concerning vertex shaders is located at http://www.gamedev.net/columns/hardcore/dxshader1/.

angrytofu,

Are you insinuating that I am a dummy? Do you have a more complicated answer you would like to give me? I believe I stated in my original post that I am looking for a more detailed explanation.

johnnie2,

I thought that these Pixel and Vertex shaders were hardware implemented features. So, reading about an API's pipeline would be different from reading about the chip itself's pipeline would, right?

roekai

[edited by - roekai on September 4, 2002 3:58:25 PM]