Ok, Limiting Frame Rate

Started by
13 comments, last by owl 21 years, 7 months ago
This comes from here What do you know about "time-based movement"? How this method should be implemented in a game? Is it really better than limiting framerate? I ask because I don''t know
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Advertisement
This Gamedev article should help:

Achieving Frame Rate Independent Game Movement

thank you, I didn''t read that one.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
-

I notice you bumped, are there any questions you need answered in relation to the article or in general?
I read the article, and the conclusion makes me wonder if someone has a better technique...

"In conclusion, I cannot say if this is the absolute best way to handle character movement, but it’s a method that has worked for me thus far."

Limiting frame rate worked fine to me, but I see people doesn''t like it, so, I would like to read more opinions about time-based movement. Is this a common technique in game programming?
Very common, AFAIK, and recommended by many.

Imagine spending big bucks on the latest top-end graphics card, a load of memory, and the fastest processor on the market. Then you buy a game and expect to get the highest frame rate possible. But, the programmer decided to limit the framerate to 30 fps. Personally, I wouldn''t mind as I would just enjoy the nifty eye candy my card allows. However, if you browse through game-related forums around the net, many hardcore gamers judge games by frame rate (as well as eye candy), and even great gameplay will lose out sometimes. Unfortunate but true.

Using time based movement allows frame rate to scale to the machine the game is run on, while maintaining a consistant animaton speed. This way, those who have the hardware can get their money''s worth (as they see it) and those who don''t can still enjoy the game. Myself, I *do* believe time based animation is a better method than frame rate limitation.

Out of curiosity, what gives you the opinion that people don''t like time-based animation?
quote:
Out of curiosity, what gives you the opinion that people don''t like time-based animation?

No no. People don''t like "frame rate limitation" This is why I want to learn the best possible time-based animation technique, and wanted to read programmers opinion. Thank you for your post.
If you use time based animation, you could set a coefficient that could slow down/speed up the engine. Add a camera that pans(scripts) when the engine is slowed down and you have bullet time.
Hi

The other problem with limiting frame rate is that although the animation runs at a constant speed when you are running AT that capped frame rate, you will still have a problem when the frame rate falls lower than that frame rate. So unless you set the maximum frame rate to 5 fps or something, some computers will run the animations slower than others.

Just as Poya says, if you only have frame-rate limitations then the game will run slower if the fps is lower than your limit. This might not be a problem at certain times, but mostly it will. Specially if you are making a multiplayer game, then this will cause the player to fall out of sync (unless the server does *ALL* the calculations for all the clients).

regards,
/Omid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement