MP3-Beating Compression

Started by
494 comments, last by kieren_j 23 years, 11 months ago
You probably don''t believe me, but if you''re at all interested in my new "CAR" compression alogrithm, check this out: The strange thing is, it works better on compressed files! Zipping an MP3 file gives you 99% of original, but check this out! **** TESTS ON UNCOMPRESSED FILES **** TXT File Example TXT File: 1,318,671 Savings: 1,308,940 CAR File: 9,731 Percent: 0.7% WAV File Example WAV File: 8,362,354 Savings: 8,323,477 CAR File: 38,877 Percent: 0.5% EXE File Example EXE File: 216,064 Savings: 213,336 CAR File: 2,728 Percent: 1.3% **** TESTS ON ALREADY-COMPRESSED FILES **** MP3 File Example MP3 File: 4,961,773 Savings: 4,945,669 CAR File: 16,104 Percent: 0.3% MPG File Example MPG File: 5,976,068 Savings: 5,946,909 CAR File: 29,159 Percent: 0.5% If you didn''t see it first time, I compressed an MP3 file from 5 meg to 16kb. What CAR actually does is obviously a complete secret, but I''m really really excited about it! I''ve been thinking of how to do it for years - but now, yay! (I figured it out playing around in QB, of all things!). What I want to know is basically are there any sites that are relatively easy to understand that tell you how to do:
  • Huffman Compression
  • LZW Compression
  • "Textbook" RLE Compression (I only know PCX''s RLE)
  • I know that you use binary trees and nodes and so on but I have no idea for a software implementation! Anyways you probably don''t believe me, but I just wanna try to make the compression better. Thanks from a very very excited Kieren Johnstone --------------- kieren_j
    Advertisement
    It''s a bit late for april fools jokes now...please...

"Paranoia is the belief in a hidden order behind the visible." - Anonymous
    Hey, I''m not kidding; but I can understand if you don''t believe me.
    But I''m not interested in if you believe me or not...where can I find those alogrithm sites?

thanx

---------------
    kieren_j
    I dare you to post that same original message on a compression newsgroup...
    ~ blackspy
    Why would you need information on those algorithms if your is so much better. After all, 5 megs of already compressed data to 16k would make you the richest person in the world.

I can reduce a 5 meg file to 16k as well... cut out everything except 16k.
    William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

Hehe - I need another form of compression because I only got those filesizes after compressing the CAR files with winzip; at the moment, the CAR process just makes the file vunerable to extreme compression (i.e. from 0.1% compression to 102% compression).
    Yeah - at the mo, this is basically what happens:

Original File:   100mbCAR File:        100mbZIPped Original: 99mbZIPped CAR:      3 bytes 

Can you see what I''m getting at?
    I just need to implement my own secondard compression.
    And Gromit - it''s not lossy. It doesn''t use binary trees either. Or nodes, run-lengths, DCTs, PCMs, or anything that you''ve ever seen before...it''s really cool and once you''ve discovered it you think "why didn''t I think of that before" - then again I just have.

har har har

so...any sites?
    thanx

---------------
    kieren_j
    kieren_j, what''s your history? How did you figure this out? How many years have you been studying the algorithm? Is there any solid proof you can give anyone? If there is, take it directly to the patent office. Everyone will then know your method, but your implementation will be protected by law. By the way, what does CAR stand for?

Pythius

BTW, I personally think you''re lying. Just for the record.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
    My history is now secret...
    I developed the alogrithm into code about half an hour ago in about 20 mins...I''ve been thinking about it for about a week.
    Solid proof? Hehe not for PD yet m8!
    Patent? Hey I only did the thing a damn hour ago!
    CAR stands for....compression alogrithm routine (he he i''ve only had 30 minutes!)
    The best thing is I''m not kidding!

hehe any sites yet?

BTW, just for the record, I don''t care if you think I''m lying!

---------------
    kieren_j
    Here''s why I think you''re a liar trying to be funny:

quote:Original post by kieren_j

at the moment, the CAR process just makes the file vunerable to extreme compression (i.e. from 0.1% compression to 102% compression).
    ---------------
    kieren_j

How the heck do you get 102% compression. Simple impossiblity there. You cannot achieve such compression without actually freeing space from your disk. If you''ve found a way to gain space on your drive''s total capacity with your compression, well, you''d better hide from every hardware manufacturer in the world.

Please, please don''t disgrace this message board with any more of your crap.

Pythius
    Heh you take things too seriously; of course you can''t get 102% ! I''m just emphasizing! I''m on a high here, I''ve just got a good compression alogrithm!
    Besides, as I keep on saying, I''m not interested in whether you believe me or not (I know it works) but I''m asking for advice to remove the step of having to use WinZip on the files!
    I don''t like people calling me crap either, what have I done to insult you??!

Hmmm...
    Anybody else (perhaps a bit nicer) got any sites for me?

Kieren

---------------
    kieren_j

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement