Started by
1 comment, last by RipTorn 21 years, 7 months ago
ok, considering the following code (being run once when the window is created):

glMaterialf(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK,GL_SHININESS,25);
	glMaterialfv(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK,GL_AMBIENT,white);
	glMaterialfv(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK,GL_DIFFUSE,white);
	glMaterialfv(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK,GL_SPECULAR,white);
	glMaterialfv(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK,GL_EMISSION,black);

where white and black are {1,1,1,1} and {0,0,0,1} now, my question, no matter the number of lights I have enabled, to get absolutly no ambient light, I need to have the total abient over those lights adding up to {-0.2,-0.2,-0.2}... which doesn''t make any sense at all... I''ve tried all sorts of stuff, and I guarentee it''s not the lights, only some lights use ambient in my project (hence I don''t want to set the material level to black), and I''ve put in code to test with all lights to 0 ambient, yet it still comes out with 0.2 ambient... the docs say the default ambient material setting is (0.2, 0.2, 0.2, 1.0) - which sounds aweful familiar... yet I''m setting this to 1,1,1,1, so this shouldn''t have any effect.. anyway... over all it''s just a bit weird and confusing... The problem is obviously easy to fix, it just doesn''t make sense and I want to know it''s not a driver bug, or whatnot... (I don''t want people to have overly dark lighting) the individual light setup code is:

Vector4 position=Light.position;
		if (light.infinite)
			position.w=0;
glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0+lightID,GL_POSITION,(float*)&position);
		glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0+lightID,GL_DIFFUSE,(float*)&Light.colour);
		if (lightID==0)
			glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0+lightID,GL_AMBIENT,(float*)&(Light.ambient-Vector4(0.2f,0.2f,0.2f,0)));
		else
			glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0+lightID,GL_AMBIENT,(float*)&Light.ambient);
		glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0+lightID,GL_SPECULAR,(float*)&Light.colour);

glLightf(GL_LIGHT0+lightID,GL_CONSTANT_ATTENUATION,(float)Light.infinite);
		if (Light.infinite)
			glLightf(GL_LIGHT0+lightID,GL_QUADRATIC_ATTENUATION,0);
		else
			glLightf(GL_LIGHT0+lightID,GL_QUADRATIC_ATTENUATION,1/(Light.falloff*Light.falloff));

Advertisement
Check out glLightModel with GL_LIGHT_MODEL_AMBIENT parameter

-Lev

beauty.
thanks mate.

- I''m just happy I was able to get around it till I got the reason.. Not like the direct3d default of having all materials black :-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement