OK, I need LOTS of help

Started by
34 comments, last by MJMSMJMS 21 years, 7 months ago
quote:Original post by thona
Fidelio, you areright.

It is also completly unnecessary to have some content and some sensible rules. Either becuase you want to steal a ruleset anyway, or because you think your players are so ridiculous stupid yo dont need a thought out set of rules anyway.

You surely think that a RPG is something like "walk over a landscape".

No, but the previous poster claimed it would take 2 years to make something that even resembled a MMORPG. I think that if you make a good design you can lay down the basics in a relatively short time. Most work will go into the game rules, scripting NPC''s and quests, and artwork.

If you define a good network communication protocol, you can do the walk/collision stuff first, synchronizing with messages. Then later add message types for eg. inventory, chat, initiating combat, etc. If your message loop is good (queues incoming messages, dispatches them to the appropriate handlers this can be easy. The fancy graphics and animations are all client-side, those can be done later.

quote:
Oh, and why use UDP, please? There are libraries taking most work from you :-)

Of course, using DirectPlay8 is ok. I am planning to do that myself too. If I put it all in one module with a decent interface I can later replace it with straight winsock, in case this is needed.

Advertisement
Fidelio_: for someone with no programming experiance (like the
original poster) there is absolutely no way in hell he could
get it done in 2 months. it''d take him that long just to get a loose
grasp on c++..

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
ok
Anything else?
yeah-

be cool. stay in school.
and dont take candy from strangers (or source code either!)

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
Thanks for all the advice, I''m picking up a book about C++ tomorrow.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement