Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dual Boot on PC...

This topic is 5582 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m taking a VB.net class, only to discover the .net stuff won''t run on win98. Who knew . My wife won''t let me wipe out the hard drive, so I must get another, put win2000 or XP on that, and then switch between the hard drives at startup. Does anyone know how somthing like this works? I think, therfore I am. I think?

1. Format the second harddisk as you would a 98 drive.

2. Then install 2000/XP. Tell the setup program to install to your new drive. You''ll get the option to make it dual boot as long as 2000/XP is installed AFTER 98.

[You always install the newest OS last since it knows about the old OS, but the new OS doesn''t know about it]

There are more detailed instructions in the MS knowledge base at http://msdn.microsoft.com (just search for something like Dual Boot).

The only other choice is whether the 2000/XP drive is FAT32 or NTFS. Have a look for the thread on here from a few days ago to see the relative merits of each.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Guest Anonymous Poster
If you put another hard disk in as a slave, you can install windows 2000 / XP to it.

Windows 2000/XP will handle the dual boot side of things as long as you dont wipe the original disk drive.

dont bother formatting. .

just install.

I have a win2000 / win98 machine with just 1 hd and 1 single 16gb partition.

just install it. (make sure you use fat32 for your partitions)

you will automatically get the menu after you complete your win2000 installation .

The .NET platform is available for WinME, and WinME is almost identical to Win98, so I dont see why it wouldnt work on that.

-----------------------
"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else''s drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack