Fear score

Started by
12 comments, last by NeverSayDie 21 years, 7 months ago
NEVERSAYDIE wrote:
quote:Actually, come to think of it, it might be worth considering a system whereby the game analysed how the player handled paricular monsters and decided which ones bothered them the most.

I think that might be a better way to simulate ''fright'', yes.
When player readies weapon upon hearing sound, it means the character got scared. When player readies big weapon, it means the character got really scared.

You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
Advertisement
Some interesting ideas there. At the moment, I''m thinking in terms of a subtle effect - I''d rather not have the fear score treated like health - take a few pills to fix it up, etc. I''d sooner have more of a realism element - the player needs to logically consider how to balance his character''s fear level. That said, Infinisearch''s idea of praying to sort the situation out is interesting - I might try and come up with a way of integrating that without making it too much of a min/maxing scenario for the player.

I''m actually considering what kind of feedback to give the player re the fear level. I might avoid a stat bar/number or some such altogether and keep it harder to quantify. Maybe have an indication from the character''s breathing level/heartbeat sound, or perhaps simply through the detrimental effects. I want to avoid a situation where the player knows that once his fear level goes above a certain point, this effect kicks in, followed by that one three steps later. The idea being to keep an element of realism and immersion - not have the player thinking about numbers/levels, how to beat the system, etc. I''ll probably introduce a random/fuzzy element to enhance that effect.
It would be fairly trivial to attach a probe to monitor the players heartbeat and feed that data to a port on your pc. Once this data is there , you WILL know if the person is scared or pumped etc... and you can react in real time without having to use some sort of cheesy algorithm that might not truly respond well at all times (for example, targeting gun at sound of monster might just mean you have good reflexes not that you r scared). Become truly interactive with the player!
Could impement a fear time, meaning, whenever something happens thats assumed to be scary, like the generic monster through window, then some hidden counter increases by 25 and for those 25 seconds, the PC is all of those things you described. But I think you should give the player some indicator like a small heart in the corner of the screen that pulsates with any heartbeat sound.

-> Will Bubel
-> Machine wash cold, tumble dry.
william bubel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement