Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm trying to code a forum...

This topic is 5584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

As the subject line says, i''m trying to code a forum (database driven, using ASP/VBScript), and i''m having some difficulty figuring out the ''mechanics'' behind how a database driven forum works. Does anyone know of any tutorials, or other manners of reference material that might help me (or does anyone want to try to explain it to me themselves)? any help is much appreciated
Tsu - The Purple Chicken Project

Download the snitz forum, it''s written in ASP and should provide a lot of hints for you : http://forum.snitz.com I think, or if that doesn''t work, do a search.

HTH
dMDI

"I don''''t know with what weapons the third world war will be fought, but I know the fourth will be fought with sticks and stones." Einstein

dim objconn, objrs, sql
set objconn = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
set objrs = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

sql="SELECT * FROM tbl_forum ORDER BY date_posted DESC"

objconn.Open "my_database", "username", "password"

objrs.open sql, objconn, 3, 3

response.write("<h3>MY FORUM</h3><table>")

while not objrs.EOF
response.write("<tr><td>" & objrs.fields("username").value & "<br"> & objrs.fields("date_posted").value & objrs.fields("user_message").value & "</td></tr>")
objrs.MoveNext
wend

response.write("</table>")

objrs.close
objconn.close

here's a start! good luck

[edited by - fluke on September 4, 2002 10:56:06 AM]

Thats why <insert favorite deity here> invented Edit

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
Epicurus

quote:

any help is much appreciated

quote:

Gee wiz! thanks fluke! i can be a l33t haxor now!!! (smart ass)

i fail to see the appreciation.

prolly not what you were looking for, but if you want to be more specific as to what you are looking for then maybe you wouldn''t have to resort to insulting people who are trying to help