RTS: Dif Teams w/o dif pics?

Started by
5 comments, last by BeanDog 24 years ago
I am creating a real time strategy game, and I want to be able to tell visually between identical units controlled by separate players. Any ideas? I was thinking of doing my blits with certain masks (no blue, whatever), but I think I would have to write my own (slow) routine. Any cool ideas?
Advertisement
Well, the obvious one is what most games seem to do, which is to pick a color to be the "team" color. Then everywhere in your sprite that is that color, draw the color for the team it belongs to.

If you''re looking for something different, and maybe a bit easier, try doing something like this. Draw (for example) a circle underneath each unit. Have the color of the cricle match the team color of the unit.
If a man is talking in the forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Thatwould be great if only...

All my sprites weren''t rendered using 3DS. Everthing is shaded and such nonsense. I couldn''t color code it, and the circles would look hokey.
A solution would be to prerender all the different color types using 3ds. You would have several pics of the same unit just different colors. Or youll have to settle for hokey looking sprites Some talent drawing in 2d to modify the 3ds pics would be a half way comprimise.

One person said that the games industry is "a transfer of funds from the rich to the lucky"
Just because the church was wrong doesn't mean Galileo wasn't a heretic.It just means he was a heretic who was right.
That brings us back to the original problem. It would be easy for me to simply render them separately, but that would take up 8 times as much memory. Is there an easy way to blit and change one color to another? That may be my only option.
Is there some sort of floodfill you could use ?

Draw the circle''s frame and floddfill the interior.

ZoomBoy
A 2D RPG with skills, weapons, and adventure.
See my character editor, Tile editor and diary at
Check out my web-site
i would do it with aplha blending ...

-kertropp

C:\Projects\rg_clue\ph_opt.c(185) : error C3142: 'PushAll' :bad idea
C:\Projects\rg_clue\ph_opt.c(207) : error C324: 'TryCnt': missing point
-kertropp C:Projectsrg_clueph_opt.c(185) : error C3142: 'PushAll' :bad ideaC:Projectsrg_clueph_opt.c(207) : error C324: 'TryCnt': missing point

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement