How i can make a Map Editor

Started by
9 comments, last by MadKnIghT 24 years ago
Hello everybody.... i wanna know how to make a Map Editor... so please give me the suggestion..... And i have learn C++ a bit ... i still can''t make anything yet....so my first project must be a Map Editor so next time if i want to make a tile base game i can use my own Map editor (with my own format) Thanks, Everybody
Advertisement
How can you think you can do a map editor in C++ if you can''t do anything in C++? Learn basic C++ and THEN make your editor.

There are some good tutorials on the internet about tilebased games, check out Amit''s site. It has links to several good tutorials.

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Hi, just keep learning C++ first, eventually, one day, a bright shining light will shine upon you, and suddenlly you have some basic idea of how to make a map editor (It happened to me once). ^_^

Hey, you are from Indonesia? Me too!!, I''ve never seen anybody from Indonesia in this message board before.

Well, Good Luck.
Hi Kev
I think a map editor would be needed when you have your engine ready to read maps. Maybe you can just put plain grass/land/whatever everywhere in the map to test the engine.
Then after the engine is done or maybe at least halfway done then you can start with the map editor.

Good luck,. . . .

Hi Sphere ! i'm from bandung

Edited by - nix on 4/7/00 12:46:47 PM
I definatley agree with everyone else, learn C++ first. If your writing for windows, i would use mfc to make my editor, if you have VC you can basically drag and drop your buttons on to your window and then it supplies functions which will call you back. Programming Windows 95 is a good book (Charles Petzold) for learning how to do things with windows. If your writting for macs i have no clue. Anyway learning C or C++ first is a must. Good Luck in your quest.
--Fuel

I dream in Black and White.
Founder Caffeinated Gameswww.caffeinatedgames.com
Aside from you learning C++, generally the engine and the map editor are inter-dependant. If you create the map editor, you create the engine. Why is this so? I''ll tell you... You need the engine to draw the map as you make it! so as you write your map editor you are actually writing the engine!!

Rock on,
- Tom
Rock on,- Tom
Heh, if your''re new to using C++ and windows apps, learn some MFC to help you along, and get a good MFC book. MFC is great for windows applications. Maybe VB, but i like C++ for more complex projects.
Muzzafarath, that''s the exact same thing that happened to me! All of a sudden you are sitting there staring at the monitor, and a bright light shines down, then the god of map editors explains to you how to make one

altair
altair734@yahoo.com
biggins.mit.edu/altair734
altairaltair734@yahoo.comwww.geocities.com/altair734
If you are new to programming C++ and really intent on making a map editor..AND money is no object, I suggest buying a copy of C++ Builder from Borland/Inprise. It''s basically a merge of their Delpi/ObjectPascal RAD tool with C++, and makes it much easier to do GUI programming under Windows.

If money IS an object, or you decide to work on the map editor after you''ve learned more C++, I suggest you stay away from MFC and instead use wxWindows (http://www.wxwindows.org). wxWindows is a cross-platform (Win32, Linux/UNIX-GTK/Motif, MacOS) API that gives you the same sort of services as MFC but is far less brain-dead in design, and gives you the added bonus of cross-platform support.
Actually, MadKnIghT (typing-killer name you got there), I made the map editor for Quake III. Evil Carmack stole it from me using sourcery. However, I plan to take it and give it to you when I have the chance. Until then, don''t forget to drink coffee and eat snickers!! Then, if you have time, you ought to do the freedom dance... I can see you from outside the window, and I can tell you that you grew chubby since I last saw you at the Freedom Mansion day before yesterday.

Freedom is in horizon for U and ME!

Evil Carmack, watch out!! Freedom-buddies are after your tail! Quake IV is MINE, Carmackel!!

More good news...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement