Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[java] J2ME games and device (in)dependency

This topic is 5573 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I've been watching some of the J2ME games that what could be called major software houses are releasing and I have to say that I'm totally puzzled... Taking a look at the site of a software house such as Gameloft (www.gameloft.com) I noticed that they went for a "device-independence-be-damned" policy and developed games especifically for certain cellphones. Isn't this weird? Or stupid? Like... J2ME was made (at least according to what's on Sun's site) to unite all the "micro devices" under a single standard... and software houses are doing exactly the opposite. I've started developing some J2ME games (you can see'em at http://pedroamaro.pt.vu) and I'm always concerned about where do they work... I try to test'em on as many devices as possible (at least under emulators) and make sure that, no matter what's the user's phone, he can play the game... but I'm starting to wonder if this is the "right way" of doing this... cause it sure looks like I'm the only one doing it. Are they wrong or do I worry too much...? Pedro [edited by - pamaro on September 7, 2002 6:43:17 PM]

Yeah, this is odd. Many developers seem to have problems designing around the varying screen resolutions of the different phones and end up limiting themselves to only a few devices. Anyone know if there are issues other than screen resolution that are affecting this choice?

So far, the only real dramatic issue I found was the lack of image-resizing capabilities, but there are always ways of going around this. If you use only drawing primitives, it''s really easy to re-size everything (I did it in Colourama LE, which fits all the screens I''ve tested it with). I don''t think that this limitation should be enough to work as an excuse for limiting development... at least it isn''t for me...
There may also be memory and speed differences, but those can usually be walked around easily...

Pedro