Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Problems w\Transparency when alpha blendin

This topic is 5571 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, First time poster, long time lurker... I am just getting my feet wet with Dx8 and have come across this problem. I can get textures to be transparent fine and translucent fine however if I try to get them to be both, I wind up with my transparent color showing as black. My render code looks like this, it is very straight foward (it seems anyway). Am I missing something in order to get both transparency and the second texture to be translucent? D3DDevice.BeginScene '' Draw first primative with no effects D3DDevice.SetTexture 0, TextureLand D3DDevice.DrawPrimitiveUP D3DPT_TRIANGLESTRIP, 2, TriStrip1(0), Len(TriStrip1(0)) '' Draw the second primative overlaying the first with transparency D3DDevice.SetTexture 0, TextureWater D3DDevice.SetTextureStageState 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_MODULATE D3DDevice.SetTextureStageState 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG1, D3DTA_DIFFUSE D3DDevice.SetTextureStageState 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG2, D3DTA_CURRENT D3DDevice.SetRenderState D3DRS_SRCBLEND, D3DBLEND_SRCALPHA D3DDevice.SetRenderState D3DRS_DESTBLEND, D3DBLEND_INVSRCALPHA D3DDevice.SetRenderState D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, 1 D3DDevice.DrawPrimitiveUP D3DPT_TRIANGLESTRIP, 2, TriStrip(0), Len(TriStrip(0)) D3DDevice.SetRenderState D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, 0 D3DDevice.EndScene Thanks in advance.

a couple things to try:

firstly:
if you have the zbuffer turned on then it won''t draw the same primitive over the top of itself since the pixels will fail the ztest.

secondly:
you can achieve this effect using multitexturing. see the SDK docs for info on this but basically you can set 2 textures at once and blend them together.

thirdly:
a screenshot would be helpful as well in determining whats actually going on. textual descriptions are always difficult

good luck,
Toby

Gobsmacked - by Toby Murray

D3DDevice.SetTexture 0, TextureWater
D3DDevice.SetTextureStageState 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_MODULATE
D3DDevice.SetTextureStageState 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG1, D3DTA_DIFFUSE
D3DDevice.SetTextureStageState 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG2, D3DTA_CURRENT

I think ARG2 is supposed to be D3DTA_TEXTURE. If you''re not using lighting, then CURRENT == DIFFUSE.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena

Thanks, Toby and Ken. I was finally able to figure it out: Ken, your D3DTA_TEXTURE hint was right on the money. The solution looks like this:

D3DDevice.BeginScene

D3DDevice.SetRenderState D3DRS_SRCBLEND, D3DBLEND_SRCALPHA
D3DDevice.SetRenderState D3DRS_DESTBLEND, D3DBLEND_INVSRCALPHA
D3DDevice.SetRenderState D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, 1

' Draw first primative with no effects
D3DDevice.SetTexture 0, TextureLand

D3DDevice.SetTextureStageState 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG2, D3DTA_TEXTURE

' TriStrip1 has all its vertex alpha's set to 1
D3DDevice.DrawPrimitiveUP D3DPT_TRIANGLESTRIP, 2, TriStrip1(0), Len(TriStrip1(0))

' Draw the second primative overlaying the first with transparency
D3DDevice.SetTexture 0, TextureWater

D3DDevice.SetTextureStageState 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG2, D3DTA_TEXTURE

D3DDevice.DrawPrimitiveUP D3DPT_TRIANGLESTRIP, 2, TriStrip(0), Len(TriStrip(0))

D3DDevice.SetRenderState D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, 0

D3DDevice.EndScene

BTW I would like to post a picture of the results. I have seen others do so, can I do this? I read the FAQ but couldn't find anything on it.

Again, thanks for your time guys.

- Sir Code Alot

[edited by - sir code alot on September 12, 2002 1:15:37 AM]