How do they make small demo??

Started by
3 comments, last by Allebarde 21 years, 7 months ago
Hi! I have recently downloaded an incredible 64kb demo. But it incredible!! The demo seems to generate texture and music runtime.. This demo also has a length of more than 5 minutes! But, how do they do to make a small demo?? do they compress the exe file? Thanks
Advertisement
64kb is quite a lot, i used to have a computer with 1kb!
yes everything is heavily compressed
also most of the textures/geometry is procedural generated or in the case of the geometry simple objects eg sphere,cylinders which can be described with a couple of paramaters. ie u dont see any quake3 characters running around

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html
i have a genetic algorithm program which is also super small. It makes an island mesh on the fly, and renders with just 256 colors

Hi!

Did you download the "farb-rausch" demos? Those are the best, I think...

go to: www.farb-rausch.com

cu,
Drag0n
-----------------------------"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning..." -- Rich Cook"...nobody ever accused English pronounciation and spelling of being logical." -- Bjarne Stroustrup"...the war on terror is going badly because, if you where to compare it to WWII, it's like America being attacked by Japan, and responding by invading Brazil." -- Michalson
Absolutely! Make sure that you get intros fr-08 (The Product), fr-019 (Poem to a Horse) and fr-022 (Ein Schlag).

Their latest thing is a music disc with tunes from their intros - 11 tunes lasting 55 minutes... in 64K(!!): Fr-028: brullwurfel.

As for your question: use UPX (http://upx.sourceforge.net. Have a look around FlipCode - there are a few threads about this sort of thing, plus some OpenGL init code that compiles to 1.5K . Add in some texture generator code (Ile/Aardbei has an article over in a hugi issue at CFXWeb.net, I think in issue 23) and you''re laughing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement