Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My updated 3D engine demo!

This topic is 5578 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! Since my last post here I have been putting a lot of effort into my 3d engine demo - if you remember, yeah, the one with the nice ants lol If you find yourself bored sometime or are interested in the program I'd ask you to try it and maybe post the created stats-file here Link 3D demo (excuse the slower server, could you give me a hint for some free webspace which allows linking to zip files? ) Stats-File: "fps.txt" in main directory... [EDIT]I've rewritten some parts of the engine, triangle throughput is now better and the terrain is more detailed Download the new exe file here: new executable Thanks a lot! [edited by - TheSnerd on September 10, 2002 8:51:58 AM]

Ok, some comments - maybe you can comment on them.

First, it looks REALLY cool. REALLY cool.

Now, the negative - is it now slow? If the number in the top bar is the frame counter, I get around 300 fps - for what basically is just terrain with some ants. I have a Athlon 1600+ and a GF 4 4400 - shold that not be way higher?

The stats file is:

4.81 seconds to load data
28035 rendered frames in 95.17 seconds
average frames per second(FPS): 294.58
10.91 thousand triangles per frame <-> 3215.31 thousand triangles per second
maximum of 436287.50 thousand triangles per second

Now, not to be negative again, but three million tris per second sounds like very low for my hardware :-)

BTW - where in germany are you located? We are propably looking for some game developers next year in Berlin, if you need an entry. Topic is an operational space game (operational as the level between tactics and strategy).

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

Thanks, glad you like it It''s for a school-project, hehe.

Now to your questions:

I''ve been optimizing the graphics part a lot - no assembler yet, but I have reorganised several things in order to speed things up. What bothers me is my support for MIDIs and mp3s - somehow I believe that those are the main problems - I''ll have to read several things up.

Oh, and I''m living in Linz, Upper Austria; thanks for the offering We''ll see :D

Stephan Reiter

Nope - bberlin is condition. We dont accept remote work. Sad.

How much more framerate do you get when NOT playing music?

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

Oh well, I don''t think I''ll move to Berlin in the next year...

Something else:
I''ve updated the executable - see first post - would you be so kind as to try the new version? the stats file is now also a bit clearer

I don''t know if your FPS will increase, but triangle throughput should actually - at least on my crappy GeForce 2 MX it does...