Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM Compile Problem :: Assembly

This topic is 5579 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I am trying to compiler my first basic ASM program. I used 16 bits x86 in DOS and used MASM 7.0 (ml.exe) that comes with Visual Studio .NET. Here is the simple code. ----- .MODEL SMALL 586 ; Indicates support for Pentium chip. .STACK 100h .DATA NameOut DB ''My name is Kuphryn. Welcome to ASM programming!.'', 13, 10, ''$'' .CODE Myname PROC mov ax, @data mov dx, ax mov dx, OFFSET NameOut mov ah, 9h int 21h mov al, 0 mov ah, 4ch int 21h Myname ENDP END Myname ----- Here is the errors MASM outputted. ----- Assembling: myname.asm myname.asm(21) : error A2006: undefined symbol : DGROUP myname.asm(31) : warning A4023: with /coff switch, leading underscore required for start address : Myname ----- Does anyone know what the error message indicates? Thanks, Kuphryn

I don't know MASM, but all the keyword thingies you spell with capitals are preceded by a "." except the "END" which is at line 21.

...Was that it?

[edited by - Kurioes on September 8, 2002 12:12:47 PM]

Thanks.

masm does not like this line.

-----
mov ax, @data
-----

The error is this:

-----
Assembling: myname.asm
myname.asm(21) : error A2006: undefined symbol : DGROUP
-----

Kuphryn

for error 2, this means that for the COFF format of binary files, all function and variable names have to have a leading underscore. So where you define your MyName PROC do it like this: _MyName PROC

Also - this program won''t run as is because there is no main entry or exit point to the program. I''m guessing you want to interface it with C++ then? If so, I think you need to make MyName public so that it can be seen by the linker.

Okay. Thanks

The problem was I was using the wrong version of Masm. I was using Masm 7.0 which came with Visual Studio .NET. I downloaded Masm 6.15. Everything works.

The only line I needed to change was this line.

-----
mov ds, ax
-----

What is ds and why do you have to move register ax to register ds?

Kuphryn