Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have no knowledge at all!

This topic is 5578 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

OK, people keep telling me to get books, but they cost about £40! isn''t there a cheaper way to learn how to learn C++ and all of that. What software do i use? Please help me out, i want to build games!!!!

There are plenty of good tutorials to learn C++ online, just do a search on google for like "c++ tutorials" or something..The only software you need to create programs is a compiler. The compiler will convert your c++ code into executable machine code(010001001010101). You can find a very good(and free) compiler at www.bloodshed.net. Its called Dev-C++.

[edited by - branhield on September 8, 2002 1:58:21 PM]

Well, as i said, the only software you need to create a program is a compiler. At least for now..When u start making games you will probably need 3d modeling and image editing software..but for now, just get dev-c++(or any other compiler) and start learning c++ good luck

/daniel

The only software you''ll NEED is a compiler. Beyond that, there''s no way of saying. If you want to make a game, odds are at some point you''ll want a good paint program, anywhere from the ancient versions of Paint Shop Pro to Photoshop... If you want a 3d game, you''ll need a 3d modeller, and there are millions of those out there too. At some point you''ll most likely need some sort of sound editor, but I know nothing about those. During development you''ll also most likely want a map editor, and a few other utilities like that, but odds are you''ll end up having to make your own there.

The point of this is: When it comes to making programs, ALL you need is the compiler. If you want to make a game, then you''ll usually want a lot more. Don''t expect to have to learn all of them on your own, though. There are very few people I know who are artists, musicians, and programmers all at once. That''s why there tend to be development TEAMS, not just one guy.

It depends on where you set your standards. If you''re happy with some sort of Tetris clone, you could probably do quite well with only the compiler and a program like MS Paint, if even that much. If you want the next Unreal Tournament, your probably getting in more than a little over your head at the moment. Stick with the compiler, learn to program, and figure out the rest as you go along.

Sorry if I sounded rude or anything, it certainly wasn''t my intent. Also sorry for ranting, which I''m quite positive I am guilty of.

-Arek the Absolute

Thanks both of you, you both sound like you know what you are doing. i have a friend who wants to build games so i'll team up with him. could you give me a list of the software, and where i could get it from. Cou;d you also point me into the direction of some more C++ tutorial sites please, thanks.

thanks again.

oh yeah you didn't sound offensive

[edited by - alexholmes on September 9, 2002 4:25:26 PM]

"When doing art work will using one of those tablets be easier, the electronic pen thingy?"

Speaking from experience: Only if you get a good quality one (£200+) and if you''re reasonably adept at drawing freehand in the first place. Money probably better spent on books..

I consider myself moderately good at freedrawing, and I want to be able to draw stuff for my games instead of scanning it. What''s the name of the pen thing? And where can I buy it?

In a corner by the door were thousands of switches. They were marked with words Linda did not understand: "Line... Feed... Load... Flipflop..."
But she could understand the small green signs under each switch. They all said, "On."
"You take half!" Al cried. He began to hit the switches with both hands. He was turning off five at a time. Red lights began to flash. They said, "Off... Off... Off."

Exactly what we need to do with Windows.

i don''t know about art but you should definitely look at these:

C++ site
Gametutorials.net
Dev-C++

Go to the Gametutorial.net site to actual, working code with full explanations in C and C++. The C++ site will give you more insight on C++ and coding in general. Make sure you head over to the Dev-C++ site to get the compiler that way you can make programs.... then games.

Then head over to Teej''s Hand s On Interactive Game Development to learn how to program your first game. Don''t go here unless you have worked and practice with the 3 sites above. Get a good understanding of what is going then join Teej. Believe me it''s better that way.

peace,

Q

Knowledge is what you learn, wisdom is how you apply it.

find your element
at mutedfaith.com.
<º>

You guys are the best. HAve any of you made any games? If so could you send me a link so i could download them. Cheers. HOw long would it take me to learn the basics do you think?

see ya.

well some people it takes "21 days" to a month.
other are regular and spend 2 to 3 months (only because they get stuck with pointers and classes).

so i would go with the 2 to 3 months.
but in the meanwhile you can play with some gamecode (that you find anywhere) and start to pick and pull at it and see what you find out.

this is a post i wrote that got a lot of people angry.....(why, i don''t know).

anyway read and you''ll get a sense of what i''m talking about.

disclaimer: i do not pretend to be god, coding god, or any sort of god; post is suggestion and observation of what i''ve seen; don''t flame because there are no marshmallows. thank you.

Knowledge is what you learn, wisdom is how you apply it.

find your element
at mutedfaith.com.
<º>