Serious performance problem!

Started by
8 comments, last by Jeffno10 21 years, 7 months ago
Something is seriously wrong - I have a rendering system set up with a quadtree etc etc but which seemed to run okay at 640x480 but when i bumped it up to 1024x768 it ran very slowly indeed, so i tried really simple tests and in the end it seems that putting up 90 polys in three drawprimitive calls (without even texturing) causes the game to only run at 27 fps! It seems only relative to the actual number of pixels drawn - nothing else has much of an effect !!!
Advertisement
Are you sure you are using HAL?

If you are using REF no wonder it is so slow. It is softwarerendering.
No, I am definitely using HAL! Even when I turn of all nice features such as lighthing and texturing i don''t get that much of a performance boost. Turning off the z buffer does increase the speed somewhat, though, but overall the thing runs much slower than it should...
What hardware are you runnig on?

Any telling signs in the D3D Debug output?

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!
I''m running on a 1ghz duron with a TNT (not fantastic hardware, but should be outputting many times what my program is doing with ease!)

How do you use the debug to evaluate speed? It doesn''t seem to give me any errors...?
quote:Original post by Jeffno10
I''m running on a 1ghz duron with a TNT (not fantastic hardware, but should be outputting many times what my program is doing with ease!)

How do you know this? It could very well be a fillrate problem, I know I never played games in that kinda resolution on my TNT... Do professional games run smoothly?
quote:
How do you use the debug to evaluate speed? It doesn''t seem to give me any errors...?

Debug output can be very handy for gaining extra speed. It can warn you about excessive locks, rendundant state changes, errors, etc

Neil

jeffno10:TNT isn''t good enought for 1024x768 res. You will see very big speed drop when changing from 640z480 to 1024x768. I have got TNT video card as well so I know.
Want a prove? run quake3 or any other game with fps counter in 640z480 and then try in 1024x768 - you will see similar performace drop.
With best regards, Mirek Czerwiñski
Well put another way...

X-Wing Alliance which is doing a lot of more complicated stuff than i am doing runs very smoothly at 1024x768, what i''m doing is hardly quake 3 yet!

Hmm. I''ll try some debugging, cheers everyone
Errm, do some profiling. I think it''s your logic code that''s slow...
The TNT shouldn''t be the problem, it has reasonable fillrate.

- JQ
Full Speed Games. Coming soon.
~phil

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement