Particle Engine

Started by
6 comments, last by Karina 21 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I''m a student at Full Sail working on a 2D scroller project for one of my classes. I''m suppost to make a particle engine for the game but I have no idea where to start. Can anyone give me some ideas or point me to a good website so I can look at other particle engines.
Advertisement
What are you using (DirectX, OpenGL), and what compiler?

:: Rad Programs Software ::
"Houston, we have a bugger" - Bart Simpson
look into making point sprites and rendering single points.

thats a start,,

Hey Karina, I have built many particle engines (2D). Just e-mail me and I will help you out. I can tell you how to get wind in it too. I have a friend named Tony that goes there too, maybe he can help you directly

[edited by - VisualB4BigD on September 8, 2002 12:53:32 AM]
I am coding it in direct X.
quote:Original post by Karina
I am coding it in direct X.

then learn point sprites. A particle engine just renders sprites all over the place with different colours to mimic different things, like water, flames, fire, blah blah.

when you are confident with your rendering, find the equations you need for more effects..

Thank you for your advice, I will start working on it first thing when I wake up.
Well if the school still gives you the book "Tricks of the windows game programming gurus" then you can refer to it. There is one chapter with a simple little tank game which talks about particle systems, and shows how to make a simple one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement