Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do companies hire for summer jobs?

This topic is 5579 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m a college student and when I''m not in college (3 months during the summer) I''d like to try to get some practical experience related to games. I think the best thing would be if I could get something in the game industry with an established company. I have some questions, if anyone might be able to answer I''d really appreciate it! 1) Do game companies even hire for "summer jobs"? 2) How much in advance should I apply for a job? 3) I will probably go into QA since I don''t have years of experience under my belt as a programmer. So, for a testing job is there anything I should do to prepare myself to be a more qualified candidiate? Thanks a lot, Raj

1) The larger ones do

2) As far in advance as possible - some have waiting lists!

3) For testers:
a. Be able to complete games. No good if you get stuck early on in a game you''re testing. [Though cheat modes are put in for test too].

b. Be a decent games player (expect interviews where you might be going head to head with another tester on a popular game ).

c. Keen eye for detail and things out of place.

d. Excellent communication skills (face to face, phone, written) - if a tester finds a bug they need to be able to communicate that bug to the programmers in such a way that the problem is clear and the steps required to reproduce it are clear.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com