Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OpenAL

This topic is 5573 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I would be very glad if you guys inform me about the popularity of OpenAL. The best to my knowledge is that it has not been used in any Windows game. So the question is should I stick to DirectSound or move to OpenAL, with its discouraging state? Is it a problem of hardware support? Thanks.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I use OpenAL. It works great. There isnt any reason not to use it. I have never had any support problems.

OpenAL is beautiful. It uses the same style as OpenGL, has everything you need for 3D sound positioning such as listener and sound velocity and other tricks, and best of all it is soooo easy to figure out. It took me about an hour to workout how to position sounds and the listener in 3D space, and play around with some of the effects.

The only other sound library I tried to use (and gave up) was DirectSound but OpenAL, in my opinion, is a lot easier to work with.

I say it depends =)

if your using DX for your graphics input ect then keep on using DirectSound

if your using opengl for graphics, sdl for input, ect then use openAL....

as far as hardware support for openAL I haven''t seen a machine yet that it doesn''t work perfectly on...

It might have looked like a stupid question,
but If a gamecompany uses OpenAL AND DX, thus ditching DirectSound, it might not be such a bad think to do (e.g. Great Milenko''s words shouldn''t be taken for granted).

zilch_

quote:
Original post by zilch_
It might have looked like a stupid question,
but If a gamecompany uses OpenAL AND DX, thus ditching DirectSound, it might not be such a bad think to do (e.g. Great Milenko''s words shouldn''t be taken for granted).

Great Milenko presents SDL as a comparable alternative to DirectInput. For many projects it will suffice, but SDL only exposes the lowest common denominator among the platforms it supports. If that isn''t sufficient, then the developer will still elect to use DirectInput.

Not that there''s anything wrong with that. Select platforms/APIs on the basis of merit. Heterogenous environments may be a little more difficult to manage, but sometimes are worth the effort. Besides, most of us will write wrappers to abstract the game framework from the content and interaction management code.

yes I know SDL is realy lacking with input... what I was sugesting is to use like interfaces... SDL isn''t quit like opengl or al but its more like them than di =)... but like you were saying if you need the extra functionality that di provides then use it...

Thanks guys for your help and advice.

I think the time you master Direct something, a new version is released with radical changes, that make your effort worthless.

Hi, has anyone been able to get OpenAL from the CVS server? I''ve tried using the commands on the download page but I get an error that it exited with code 0 after i enter the password guest. I have tried the commands with both WinCvs and the console program cvs.exe and neither one will allow me access to the server. Is there something I''m missing? Thanks.

quote:
Original post by cardinals33
Hi, has anyone been able to get OpenAL from the CVS server? I''ve tried using the commands on the download page but I get an error that it exited with code 0 after i enter the password guest. I have tried the commands with both WinCvs and the console program cvs.exe and neither one will allow me access to the server. Is there something I''m missing? Thanks.

Try it through Cygwin (the only CVS I''ve ever used in Windows). Their instructions work as written in Cygwin and real *nix environments without problems for me.

There is only 1 problem with OpenAL that I have found while using it, and that is that you can only have 32 different Sound sources playing at once MAXIMUM. That means if you have more than 32 sounds playing from different positions consecutively you will run into problems.

- Weasalmongler

quote:
Original post by weasalmongler
There is only 1 problem with OpenAL that I have found while using it, and that is that you can only have 32 different Sound sources playing at once MAXIMUM. That means if you have more than 32 sounds playing from different positions consecutively you will run into problems.

That''s only the Windows backend (because of limitations in DirectSound, DirectSound3D, and the Windows multimedia system according to the comments in the code). The other backends all have ''soft caps''. The *nix backend is set at 64 (after which a different mixing function is used), the Mac backend at 256 (after which I don''t know what happens), and the BeOS backend at 32 channels (but I don''t know how many sources).