Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Taxa

Absolutly Huge Step

Hi guys, I represent a new software company setting up in Southampton, England. We are focusing on the online games sector. We have come to the conclusion that this engine may be one of the best for our planned game under the working title of New Era. I have glanced over the documentation and I am very impressed. I downloaded the land1.zip and tried to give it a go. The machine is an Athlon 600, 128Mb Ram, GeForce 256, Creative Labs Voodoo2 12Mb, SBLive! etc etc etc. I have the latest drivers for both Win95 and Win 2000 but I cannot get the demo to run. I am very short on time, we have another project to get onto the shelves before July and I really havent got the time to get this demo working. The problem is that it starts up, sometimes flashing the whole screen black sometimes not. When it does then it recognises the Voodoo2. Which ever card I choose and with the GeForce whichever direct 3D device I choose the demo goes to the splash screen showing the character by the lake. Then after anout 30s it just quits back to windows. This problem occurs under win95 and 2000, is there a hardware compatability problem or am I just being thick? ---== Taxa ==---

Hmm..this is a game development site, not one dedicated to a particular engine. From what it sounds like, you are referring to Power Render? If so, ask in the forums at www.egerter.com. My experience with the engine is it seems abit unstable, though very nice.

If this is not the engine you are speaking about, include the name of it.

-
Ibuku
amadev.net

Oh sorry about that...I visited this topic through the main site (most recent posts) and just remembered that gamedev had a PR section of their boards, although i thought you posted in General. Stupid me!

I don''t remember anyone having the same configuration as yours. But I have a few suggestions ..

Try win98 ...
Try G400,Tnt2 cards .. ( or any other 32 MB cards)

All the best,
Nat

I just upgraded my PC with a GeForce DDR and Voodoo2, all running in Win98.

Problem is back.

Using the Geforce, i am able to see the loading screen. just before it renders, the land1 demo crashes.

Using the Voodoo2, it crashes with "AddAttached Buffer failed for Z-buffer".

Previously i am using Permedia2 and everything is fine.

On a creative TNT2 the program crashes after the intial start up screen ..

I am going to try getting the latest drivers for the Creative TNT2 card .. u should also try t oget the latest drivers ..

My understanding is that some GEFORCE cards are not compatible with Athlon. (hardware incompatibility)

You should ask your card manufacture or Nvidia for sure.

James

Iram''s problem is exactly what we am getting (I just didn''t put it so well). Is it true that the engine is unstable as we have been told this twice now from two different sources and also is the problem a driver thing or an engine failure? Are there similar engines out there for a similar price (or cheaper) to do the same thing? Is the source code avaliable?
Thanks

---== Taxa ==---

The landscape demo has been tested on G400, Geforce, TNT2 Ultra, and Voodoo2 cards. It does not work under Win2k yet.

Make sure you download the latest version as there have been some updates that fix problems like you described.

Chris

i am running on Win98 SE2.

my GeForce is using the latest driver and voodoo2 is using the exact driver that i have on the old computer (with Permedia2).

the problem now is that the voodoo2 cannot even start.
i suspect it could be the GeForce directx 7 driver.

another thing that is different is the list of rendering device that i can choose.

on GeForce, i have Direct HAL and Direct T&L.
on Voodoo2, i have only Direct HAL.

previously with Permedia2, my voodoo2 have the RGB selection too.

i tried proedit, but this program works.
maybe it got something to do with fullscreen and windowed mode.

try nVidia''s newest reference drivers. If that doesn''t work I would remove the GeForce card completely from the system, uninstalling the drivers completely. Re-install the chipset drivers, AMD drivers, and the AGP drivers that should have come with your motherboard. Then re-install directx7a. You may have to wipe your hard drive and re-install windows to get everything. GeForce cards have serious problems with AMD chipsets (especially on Athlon boards) and soundblaster live cards. You have to have the right motherboard and follow an exact procedure to get them to work right with everything. You would also have to make numerous manual registry entries to get it to work like it should. My advice is forget about it. Some of the same problems occur with the TNT2 line of cards as well. I have tried an ASUS card and an Elsa card. The ASUS card was a complete pain in the ass, and the Elsa card was almost as bad. I ended up putting my Voodoo3 back in (not one weird thing/problem since then).

You might check your power supply as well. Athlons and GeForce cards need a LOT of power.

Good Luck

Somehow I never ran into problems when using ASUS Ultra Tnt2. Its gives a better frame rate than G400. Maybe because of the Bump Mapping. Yes Bumpmapping can be a severe load on the engine

Sorry, my Geforce + voodoo2 is running on a P3-800 mhz

i think the Geforce driver is affecting the voodoo2.

but why the "AddAttached Buffer failed for Z-buffer" error ?