GeForce 4 'go slow' using GL_FILL mode

Started by
11 comments, last by sjdibble 21 years, 7 months ago
Interesting.

So the problem appears to be GeForce 4MX only, not Ti''s. I am currently taking the whole program appart bit by bit and putting it back together in an attempt to find out where the problem lies.

However, I dont think it''s in the rendering, but rather the whole way the OpenGL window is set up. My reason for thinking this is that the first version uses NeHe''s OpenGL framework. However, early tests with the framework version 2 does not repeat the results. However, I can''t verify this until I have completely implemented the code using the newer framework.

I will let people know what caused it, if I ever find out

Stephen

PS, thanks for the hint about drivers, I will download nvidia''s latest ones!
Advertisement
I too suspect that this is a bug in the drivers, but the 33fps is interesting -- it's awfully close to the magic video number of 30fps. Have you tried going into the OpenGL Settings tab of the display control panel (Display->Advanced->Geforce->Additional Properties->OpenGL Settings) and forcing Vertical Sync off? With it on (the default) my Geforce 2 Go only gets about 60 fps on your app, but off it shoots up to hundreds.

If this fixes the problem, then it's almost a driver bug though I don't know why rendering in fill vs. line mode should matter, but that's why it'd be a bug I suppose

Good luck,
- John

[edited by - Mundocani on September 14, 2002 11:36:14 PM]
Well, I dont know exactly what caused the problem but I re-build the code using NeHe''s Framework 2 and problem solved

The 33 FPS on GeForce 4 is now over 3000 FPS. The Frame rate has jumped on the GeForce 3 as well. However, I made no changes to the rendering code when converting.

I can only assume it was something to do with the way the OpenGL window was initialised.

Stephen

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement