About Direct X 8.1 SDK using Window XP Professional

Started by
7 comments, last by bignose 21 years, 7 months ago
Hi all, I have a big problem about using the Direct X 8.1 SDK for Window XP.When I have finished the installation of Direct X 8.1 SDK and the Visual C++,I try to run the game for my projects.When it is compiling ,it is no problem,but about that the game can not be initiated.I try to find out the problem but it is useless.So I want to ask that if any of you are using Window XP for game development using the Direct X 8.1 SDK and the VC.Thank you for helping me!
Advertisement
It''s a stupid question...

But does your grapgics card support directx 8.1??? Some like the ATI RAGE etc etc don''t until you install a driver update.
Have been developing games on XP with 8.1SDK and come across no problems at all, can u give more information i.e.:

Did the programs compile and run under 8.1 under your previous operating system.
Have you had any success running games in DirectX before.

I have found most of my problems with compiling DX software are due to environment settings in Visual C++ with includes and lib faults.

Stuart
Try running the pre-compiled SDK samples. Read the readme.txt file, it describes some WinXP problems. Then do what the previous posters have said...

- JQ
Full Speed Games. Coming soon.
~phil
I have the same problem

My Computer:
Tyan S2460 Motherboard
Dual Athlon MP 1800+
512 MB DDR PC-2100 RAM
PNY GeForce4 Ti 4600, I''ve tried the Detonator 29.** and 40.** drivers.
I have no problems whatsoever compiling/running my DX8.1 projects with Windows XP Pro. I'm using Borland C++ Builder 5.0 (did require a few extra steps to get compiling though, but once set up: no problems)

BTW did you remember to install the debug DX81 for Windows XP? I mean in my SDK it has "debug" DX, "retail" DX AND a "Windows XP" directory with debug DX in it.

My Computer:
Asus P4S533 (P4)
Pentium 4 1.8A @ 2~
512 MB DDR PC-2700 RAM
Daytona GeForce4 Ti 4200 128MB (with newest or almost newest driver)

[edited by - beowulf on September 9, 2002 4:24:20 PM]
Most likely the problem is that DirectX 8.1 isn''t "downloadable" for windows XP. And it didn''t come installed with XP. You must use windows update, (most likely the SP1 that came out today should have this fix) in order to update to direct X 8.1. Once you get 8.1 on your machine you should then be able to run your applications.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Most likely the problem is that DirectX 8.1 isn''t "downloadable" for windows XP. And it didn''t come installed with XP. You must use windows update, (most likely the SP1 that came out today should have this fix) in order to update to direct X 8.1. Once you get 8.1 on your machine you should then be able to run your applications.

Garbage, if you have installed the 8.1 SDK then you will have the 8.1 runtime installed aswell. It has nothing to do with SP1 of XP.

First thing I would suggest is to run DXDiag (should be in your path somewhere) and ensure that the correct version of DX is installed. Also while you are there, run the display tests to ensure everything is working. If that all works fine, then compile and run some of the samples. If everything is ok to there, then the problem is with your application. Turn on the debug settings (the DX ones, I am hoping that you installed the debug runtime during SDK installation), then in your debugger see if there are any problems reported.

quote:Original post by Huezo
I have the same problem

My Computer:
Tyan S2460 Motherboard
Dual Athlon MP 1800+
The Tyan S2460 motherboard has a number of known issues with Windows XP mostly due to design defects in the board and problems with the chipset. These problems were fixed in the S2466 motherboard.

I had the same motherboard/CPU combination a little while ago and Tyan tech support admitted the problem but refused to do anything for me, so I switched to an ASUS board with an Intel P4 processor, tossed the S2460 and sold the Athlons. I''ve heard from a few people I know that Tyan has since rethought their position on the boards and they might do something for you now if you give them a call.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement